1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doubled, Nov 5, 2009.

1. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    I'm getting a few year old hens and already have one 30 week old pullet. do i need to keep them seperated, and if so, for how long?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Other than the quarentine, I don't think so. They should be friends before long. Quarentine is supposed to be 3 weeks.

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    If you only have one other pullet. It will be fine. Just watch for couple of days.[​IMG]

4. doubled

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    thanks

5. doubled

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    [​IMG] i just got what may be the 4 ugliest pullets i have ever seen. almost a year old and boy oh boy did that rooster ever do a number on them...lucky for them, i am now roosterless (just don't look in the freezer) so they have plenty of time to lay and grow feathers [​IMG]

2 brown leghorns, 2 unidentified green egg layers, and 1 polish (i think)

the polish must have fought back or avoided the rooster because she is fine but the other 4, U.G.L.Y. [​IMG] UGLY [​IMG]

DD

6. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Keep them quarantined and look for signs of sickness. If they are sick, the rate of mortality would be minimal because you only introduced one bird. Dont make the mistake I did and integrate flocks immediately!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by