%$&^*@ HENS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarriBrown, Dec 30, 2007.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I had to BUY eggs at the grocery store! [​IMG] The nerve of those broads!

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I'm at that point too. I hate it!! I try to get to our local food co-op where at least I can get free range eggs from a lady from our church. They better and cheaper than the grocery store ones I can get. I had to buy a LOT of them for my Christmas baking.
    So what did you have to pay? (I hesitate to ask.....)[​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I was getting 11-13 eggs a day in summer fom my 13 hens, now I'm getting 2 a day!
    1 white and1 brown. [​IMG]

I know that some are in molt and that is to be expected, but I don't have 11 molting, the weather hasn't been that cold, they get a balanced diet along with free ranging a few hours a day, so what gives? [​IMG]

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Quote:hehehehehe

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Me too, nada, zip, NOTHING!

6. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Um I am getting 6 eggs a day from my Marans... Sure you guys don't want to buy some lmao....

Arklady

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no idea. I have 23 layers. I've been getting 14-18 eggs per day, sometimes as little as 9, but I can't complain after I hear all these other stories. You'd all throw eggs at me if you had 'em! I don't have supplemental light, just the heat lamp that comes on over the waterer about 6 a.m. to melt any ice in the tray. They're doing well, but next winter may not be that great since then my older girls will be three years old.

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Here is a stupid question

Why?

I don't know what breeds everyone else has but, I look at rooster-red and I thought
    Plymouth Barred Rock, RIR's & Leghorn were good layers in winter!

I reduced my flock so I only have 2 EE's laying (they go 6 days a week @ the moment aside from banty's!) O.K. I have a heat lamp over water also!

I was going to add BR & RIR is spring if they are not good winter layer what is?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Our five were going great guns (4-5 eggs a day) until three days ago when we got snow. It really freaked 'em out! Now it's sunny again, snow doesn't stick here, I'm hopin' things pick up. I would hate to buy eggs!!!

10. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG] Me TOO! I was very sad. It's been a few weeks since I got a single egg! I've been contemplating putting some lights on timers, but I'm not so sure it's fair to the girls to trick them that way. I wonder about long-term health effects from artificially lengthening their natural laying cycle. Anyone know anything about this?? I've heard that a red heat light is often enough light to artificially lengthen the day and prompt laying, so those of you who said you have hens still laying and have heat lamps, that might be part of why you've still got eggs (and we don't)!!!

Arklady, my Marans breeders quit, along with my laying hens! Divas, the whole bunch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by