Her Eye Is Gone!!! Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick15, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    So I went down to give the girls treats and One of the RIR's eyes looked wierd, it was swollen and pale. So i gave the rest treats, but she didnt respond, her other eye is normal, and I looked closer and her eye is gone!! [​IMG] im not kidding.. just gone, dissapeared, just an eye socket. What should i do??? I am thinking about moving her, but how do I prevent it from happening with the other chickens? I am really grossed out because I am assuming her eye was pecked out by one of the others. And I couldn't see the eye anywhere SO THAT MEANS THEY MUST HAVE EATEN HER EYE [​IMG] I feel soooo bad for her... [​IMG]

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    it's possible they did and she'll survive it ok, keep an eye on it for infection (sorry no pun intended). I'd also check your coop for sharp objects, nails, slivers or anything she could have impaled herself upon. If she got wounded, then the birds would pick at her till they took the eye... talk about getting the heebee jeebies!

3. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    are any of the others picking each other? if so you could get some no pic spray and blinders, as for the hen id put some blue coat on the wound and statr a five day treatmeant with antibiotics asap. good luck and i hope she gets better

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    What antibiotics would I use? Could I use antibiotics like neosporin?

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

A chicken losing an eye is a common thing. A little eye ointment and she will adjust. Not a big deal, believe me........Pop

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think I would put some antibiotic ointment on the eye (nothing with pain relief-cain) and bring her inside. I would be worried about it getting infected or the other birds injuring her more. Its possible the other birds pecked her eye out, or its possible they cleaned the eye up after she injured herself. One of my EE hens ran smack into the fence one day (chainlink with chicken wire around the bottom inside). She found the only sharp piece of wire on the fence and it went into her eye. I brought her inside and smeared vasoline over her eye. She stayed inside, in a dark quiet place for a week. She did keep the eye (though I'm pretty sure she couldn't see out of it). Chickens are amazingly resilient, good luck!

7. Lollipop

Quote:NO! There is an ointment just for eyes. Can`t remember the name of it, but your feed store, even a drug store should be able to supply it........Pop

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. Lollipop

Quote:Thanks, I just drew a blank on that one.........Pop

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN