1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

her foot is hurt badly, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    We got up this morning to find rhubarb (1 1/2 y old cinnamon queen hen) laying down. we let them into the run and she tried to hop on out. one of her feet is hurt. she can't walk on it at all. and it appears that one of her toenails is broken, possibly 2. Im not sure what happened. but how do I keep her from getting an infection and how do I get her well?

she's not using the other foot at all. how do I know if it is brokeN?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am noooooo expert but I would confine her to a small kennel or something to keep her quiet and keep her bedding clean she shouldnt get infected if it is kept clean. You might want to try some neosporine but just a little or it will be a huge mess. I think the main thing is keep her clean and quiet to allow it to heal.

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    OK, I have her isolated but ya know what? she isn't using the good looking foot at all. she's babying that one more than the bloody one. what is up? did she break it? how would I know if she broke it? when she tries to move she's trying to not stand on that one at all and when she lays down its the good looking foot that she has sticking out and she lays on the bloody one. what on earth is going on with my Rhubarb?? (BTW this is the kids pet chicken. she is the baby who gets lugged around everywhere, she is super sweet and lets them do anything to her ROFL!) poor thing. has to endure the wrath of my children, isn't that enough?

4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I'm worried about her. I don't want to be bugging you all, but she's my kids favorite and I want to help her. can someone please help me?

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I think you're probably doing the most important thing by isolating her and keeping her clean. Will she let you look at both feet? How does the non-bloody foot look? Is the obviously injured foot still bleeding? If so, you want to try to stop that.

What first aid supplies do you have available?

6. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    the bloody foot isn't bleeding any longer, I put flour on it yesterday.

the foot she is babying looks ok but she won't put any weight on it. what could it be? could it be broken? how would i know? I heard about bumblefoot but I'm not sure I see any scabs on it. the middle on her foot underneath looks puffy but then again I dont know what its supposed to look like, I don't look at chickens feet regularly LOL!

7. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    OK, I went down there to check on her. I touched it and she doesn't flinch. she doesn't act like its bothering her at all. but she WILL NOT stand on it. period. she wont. she will stand on the broken toe foot though. I'm so confused. what on earth is going on??

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

She may have hurt that leg when she received the foot injury. If she's eating and drinking, and doesn't look ill, I'd just continue to keep her isolated until you see some improvement. Sometimes rest is the best remedy.

9. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    she just lays there. when I turned the light on and was petting her she began to eat. maybe it was too dark down in the basement for her to think it is day? she hadn't eaten anything I had given her. but when I petted her she ate a little bit. I am concerned that she didnt eat morethan she did though.

my 6y old calls her his best friend. Aww.. he is concerned for her as well.

I didn't see any blood in the coop at all. I dont' know what she injured herself on. when I locked them up at night she was roosting with the others and in the morning she was laying on the bottom.

10. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Could you post pictures of her feet? Pictures may help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by