1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Her head was pulled right off!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MikeG, Oct 26, 2010.

1. MikeG

MikeG Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Roanoke, Va
    Our mother hen, 'Grey' was decapitated last night. I did some research on the archives and Must Reads, and don't know if the culprit is a raccoon or opossum.

Regrettably, I've been slacking in closing the coop gate at night and something helped themselves to some easy pickins. There was at least 4 birds in there at the time of the attack and only Grey was killed.

There was oodles of feathers and it looked like some from several birds but the survivors seem uninjured. There was no blood and the head/neck was pulled off at its base in the chest cavity. And that was the only injury...and certainly the mechanism of death.

I'm borrowing a friends trap and am just not to sure what to bait it with.

I live within City limits and have seen cats, skunks, raccoons, and opossums.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    coons LOVE marshmallows
    canned cat food for the possum

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Well if you're willing to dispose of whatever you catch, use cat food....everything comes to cat food.

I have found that one night it'll be a coon, other nights, it'll be the neighbors cats.....just depends on who's hungry and who gets there first. Caught opossums on cat food too. Your scenario sounds like a coon though. Good luck and even if you catch something one night, don't stop trapping, what you catch one night may not be the culprit. But anything lurking around your coop is a predator.....

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I haven't had to trap anything yet but, everyone I have talked to said canned cat food will catch it all!

5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

and don't forget to close the coop door. Whatever enjoyed the treat last night, will surely be back for seconds.

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Put the chicken it killed in there that's what it was after. [​IMG]

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sounds like the work of a coon, they are incredibly strong and their paws work like human hands.

8. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like the work of the little Masked Bandit and he will come back and try again and again and he is very ingenious about his approach and will try every way he can to have another chicken dinner! Just remember its them or our babies and trapping is good and cat food works on all kinds even foxes BTW

9. MikeG

MikeG Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Roanoke, Va
    I feel like Sanford & Son. My birds are everywhere. Turkeys are in a tree, four out of the 7 remaining chickens are in different trees. None of them wanted to go in the coop tonite. I finally got the remaining three (the old ladies) into the coop. I battened down the hatches and put the trap out. All I had of the desired list was dog food. I soaked it and put it in there.

And just learned we're under a Tornado Watch until 3am. Great...

Might go out tonite before bed and throw some marshmellows in there-they're less likely to dissolve if we get rain.

Thanks to everybody for all the insight!

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by