Herb Gardeners?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Hello all!
    I've recently read a book about herb gardening and find it fascinating. I want to grow herbs to make into scented potholders for Christmas/Birthday presents, but I'm not sure what herbs are best! Also, what herbs do you find you use most? (I know it probably varies. Any tips on growing herbs would be appreciated!

2. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    I grew some herbs for the first time last summer and it was super fun and easy! I recommend this book: "your backyard herb garden", it's a great reference. One thing that I did do that I would like to do more of was dry the herbs. I have almost run out of the ones I dried from last season. That way I could also make some things, so far we have just used them for cooking. I'd say sage is my favorite so far, hardy plant, easy to harvest and dry and smells amazing!

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you! I am thinking of going through my kitchen cabinet and seeing what herbs I can grow. I'll probably just grow a small patch this summer until I get the feel for it and figure out what to do. :) I will definitely be growing lavender, sage, dill, basil, and probably mint. Just my thoughts for now. :)

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We grow various herbs. I grow three varieties of lavender. -wonderful for using for fragrance! We also grow pineapple sage, common sage, rosemary, chocolate mint, peppermint, cilantro, parsley, oregano, Greek oregano, purple basil, sweet basil, lemon basil, German thyme, and Mexican tarragon. The mints are wonderful, as well, for fragrance! (Our herb beds are still producing right now. We have a fairly mild climate, though.) Research what will grow well in your area or planting zone and decide whether you prefer growing outdoors or cultivating indoors and/ or in a greenhouse of sorts. (Two of our lavender varieties are in pots so we can bring them in during cold snaps. One variety is still thriving in the ground in spite of ice and freezes. Go figure...

-best of luck!!

5. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    I had started out with just a garden bed but have moved everything to pots which has been much easier when it comes to harvesting them. Depending on what cooking you do, chocolate mint was another favorite that I used with our fresh zucchini to make zucchini bread. Lemon verbena was another great one. Rosemary is another awesome plant that is very hardy and easy to use.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I keep rosemary in a big pot. It is super easy to propagate by bending a stem down and burying a bit of it in the soil so the tip is not covered. Parsley is a must, as well as chives. I'm trying an evergreen bunching onion that is supposed to spread in clumps. also planted Egyptian onion this fall, and have lots of garlic. though these are not technically herbs, my kitchen can't do without them. Dill self sows for me every year.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am very excited for spring! I am thinking about pot planting...less weeding. :) I already have a pretty big garden and am going to try sunflowers and pumpkins this year also. I did a couple sunflowers last year, very chicken entertaining for the winter, just throw in a couple dried heads! That's what the pumpkins are going to be for too.

8. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -sounds like a good plan!! We grew two types of giant sunflowers last summer (for the chickens). -think the family enjoyed them just as much as the birds. -were just beautiful!

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    They are, aren't they? They were right across from my kitchen window.

I've decided on 8-9 herbs already. :) I have 4 for culinary uses and 4-5 for their aroma/beauty.

10. veggietreeigrl

veggietreeigrl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    I don't know about your area but we planted a little basil plant last year that exploded into a giant basil bush. It did very well. All we did was stick it in the ground and water it daily. (Twice daily in summer) Basil always seem to do great in my area. I bought seeds to plant lavender, dill and cilantro this year but I have to wait to March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by