Herb infused ACV by kiddo

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redheads, May 8, 2011.

1. redheads

redheads Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Okay, so I accidentally left a bottle of ACV outside after filling my chickens' waterer. My son so graciously thought it would be a good idea to pack the bottle with fresh-picked rosemary. I discovered it within a few hours, and strained the rosemary out, but it still has quite a strong smell. So, my question is: Would you use the ACV or throw it out? The bottle is half-full, and it's organic, so that makes for an expensive lesson. Is there a Web site I can go to so I can see if rosemary would be bad for the chickens? Should I try it and see if they drink the water? There are particles floating in the ACV, so I am not going to use it in the kitchen. Please give input!
    [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    As far as I know, it would be safe, especially in the small amounts you use it in when you mix it with drinking water. It's been used as a preservative in some pet foods. My biggest concern would be whether it would effect the amount of water the chickens drink, if they don't like the smell or taste. I would watch their water consumption carefully, if you use it. As long as they're drinking the usual amount of water, it should be okay.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    If you decide to eat your chickens, they would REALLY be infused with rosemary! [​IMG]

4. redheads

redheads Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    LOL, Giddymoon! I suppose it'll be a good selling point when we're done and want to sell them, huh?!

Thank you, WoodlandWoman. I'll try it out and monitor they're intake and BMs. One site listed it as a possible GI irritant, so I don't want to upset their little systems! I was hoping to see it having anthelmintic properties, but no such luck. I think the small amount I usually put in, shouldn't bother them too much. It's only in their coop, and they free-range with access to a creek during daylight hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by