herb planter on top

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lmrickert, Mar 25, 2015.

1. lmrickert

lmrickert Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Northern California
    So my husband has this idea for our run and I wanted to know of anyone has tried it. He wants to put an herb planter on top of the run to give the girls partial shade and protection while having a place to grow our basil and such. anyone tried this ?

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Williams Sonoma sells a coop with an option like that. You just need to make sure you have proper drainage to carry the water away.

3. lmrickert

Mar 24, 2015
    Northern California
    Ah okay. When he mentioned it I thought he had lost his mind lol.

4. SuperK

SuperK Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also seen these coops online and loved the idea- efficient use of the land, getting triple duty out the same space- We are planning to catch the rain run off the roof to augment the chickens water so in the coop's land area, we get chickens, herbs (or fresh feed for the the chickens or both) and all the water (180 inches of rain a year) we need for them both. Win-Win-Win

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I think a slightly angled bottom and drain holes on the low edge are key. Other than that, I say go for it!

6. lmrickert

Mar 24, 2015
    Northern California
    Okay after reading talks comments I'm starting to understand what he was talking about LoL. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what and how he meant lol.

7. SuperK

SuperK Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by