Herb Raising Project (Potting simple set ups)

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by LadyVictorian, Dec 25, 2016.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I have been gardening for years mostly outside and I seem to be able to raise fickle plants in situations they shouldn't be able to grow very well (full sun plants in part shade, dry plants in swampy area's) Somehow I always have luck ASIDE from the mythical herbs. For some reason every year when I plant herbs they die. I give them water, I refrain from water, I give them basic top soil, potting mix, fertilizers, leave them, hoover over them and yet they always die. This year I have decided to buy a little greenhouse and grow my herbs in pots to see if it's my soil that disagrees with them. I recently got some seeds for chive, basil, and parsley in little starter pots and am going to get around 20+ herbs by the end both for cooking and medicine.

Among just growing herbs I am going to do the standard herbs in the pots from seedlings, mason jar herbs (recently just saw this idea and loved it for indoors in the kitchen) and the living herb wall (this look so amazing). I might try some other random little cool micro herbal gardens since I want to make something I can bring indoors for the winter. I just hope this project doesn't end with a lot more dead herbs turning crispy and sad on me. 4th year is the charm?

2. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    maybe try and get herbs that are plants and not seeds?
    [​IMG]GOODLUCK!

3. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    maybe try and get herbs that are plants and not seeds?
    [​IMG]GOODLUCK!

4. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    When I get the plants they normally do alright in my gardens for a few months but either the soil kills them or i have a critter or bugs killing them. I gave up on catnip since I had about 10 feral cats coming to my house and picking on my cats. I do have one catnip plant that is half way to heaven in my bedroom but the cats could be to blame for that one. I know Lavender I am getting as the plant as I have never been able to get it to grow from seeds. I did however get two weeds to grow in a pot where I planted my lavender. It was interesting since it was miracle grow potting mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by