Herbal dewormers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dana, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Dana

Dana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Does anyone know of a good herbal poultry dewormer that is available in the US?

I have never wormed my chickens before, but in the summer they eat lots of bugs and scratch around in the horse manure and under wild bird feeders, so I assume they must have some parasites. Also, my flock has been having more abnormal looking poops for a while now, and my rooster is getting it stuck to him. They don't seem sick, and I can't think of any other reason for this problem. Since I don't know for sure that parasites are even the problem, and I can't really test them for it, I would rather not use a chemical dewormer.

I would like to use the Verm-X poultry dewormer, but since it's not in the US I could only find it on eBay and it was fifty dollars including shipping for one bottle. That doesn't seem very practical especially since I just got more chickens.

I do have some Old Amish Dewormer for humans, the ingredients are listed as:

"Proprietary blend of tinctured extract of black walnut (green hull, bud, stem, and leaf), olive leaf and stem, clove, pumpkin seed, and wormwood. Preserved in not more than 15% grain alcohol by weight."

Do you think any of those things might be toxic to chickens? I don't know if I could even get them to take it, that stuff tastes awful.

I already give my chickens some DE, apple cider vinegar, and try to get them to eat pumpkin seeds. But that doesn't seem to be enough, and some of them are really picky and won't eat much of it.

Thanks.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    There is nothing in there I haven't used on parrots. I doubt it would harm chickens. regulating dosage could be an issue though.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    In England they have a herbal "dewormer"...mainly used in management of the problem...an active infestation will still recquire meds.

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine chopped Garlic, I mix it in with some oatmeal mash and they gobble it all down.
    I love garlic and feel it is a really beneficial plant for humans and animals.

5. Dana

Dana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for your replies.

kstaven: Yeah, the correct dosage would be hard to figure out, and I'm not sure how long they would have to be on it.

dlhunicorn: You're probably thinking of the Verm-X, but I can't easily get that here.

bantymum: I forgot to mention that I also give my chickens some garlic, but some of them wont eat much of it, especially the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by