Herbal dust baths!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AtHomeDaddy, Aug 28, 2008.

1. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My 4 year old daughter and I have been reading a lot about caring for the chickens. She was intrigued this morning when we were talking about dust baths.

We let the chicks run around in the garden for the first time this morning, since nothing except a few herb plants survived our dry summer.

My Princess decided to help out the chicks by prepping a dust bath, complete with some fresh clipped basil, sage, mint and onion greens. The chicks didn't seem too interested, but she found a doodle bug to put in there, so life was grand.

For the girl and the chicks.

[​IMG]

The Great Pyrenees dog was happy too, since he got to meet the chicks off leash for the first time this morning. Then he lay down and pretended to nap while the chicks scratched the garden.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. glad your herbs survived the summer, mine died since we are in a drought, pretty dau.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    That is so sweet of her!

I think I'll try it with some of my lavender - it's a natural anti-everything.

[​IMG]

4. AtHomeDaddy

AtHomeDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I forgot about the lavender.

That is growing out in the front yard. Once I remind the girl about it, I am sure the chicks will get that in the next dust bath!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by