1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Herbal Vermifuge/ Vermicide

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WeedEater, Nov 1, 2009.

1. WeedEater

WeedEater Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I'd like to mine the resources of this forum with the experience along the title topic. I just acquired some new birds, they appear completely healthy, although they reek from vinegar treatment. Not terribly worried about worms as they were raised on wire, but it got me thinking about just that.

I know there are plants out there like Wormwood, Epazote and Black Walnut that have vermifugal properties, but how would one use it and in what proportions? I'm from the self-reliant school of thought, wanting to rely as little on anything I can't grow myself, but I'm forced to keep my birds enclosed in a yard and that's just the way it is. No signs of parasites in any of my previous flocks, but I never introduced other adults until now.

Comments welcome!

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Glad to see there are other people that think like me. I have no experience with worming poultry. We use hoeggers herbal wormer for goats. I have no idea if that would work for poultry or not. One of the ingredients is wormwood. We have also used coconut. If you are interested in hearing about our coconut story pm me.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Rue, carrots, parsley, and pumpkin.

4. snarko

snarko New Egg

May 9, 2011
    I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I found it on Google, because i was searching for forage that discourages parasites that I could plant for my goats. I found this link and thought it would be helpful to other people interested in the topic: http://www.scsrpc.org/SCSRPC/Publications/part5.htm .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by