Herbs for Hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LadyVictorian, Dec 22, 2016.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Haven't gotten my chickens yet but looking at getting chicks at about February/March BUT I am already starting to plant my seeds for herbs in the pots and I was wondering what are goof herbs for chickens to eat and that they really enjoy and also about what age can you start feeding herbs and adding them into their feed? I already got parsley and basil seeds put in the pots last night and am looking through what other herbs I can set aside from a chicken garden.

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Take a look at the poisonous plant section first and by elmination you will find what you CAN plant. As far as which are beneficial I am not an expert on herbs.

I do know that Kale is an excellent plant to plant next to the run for self serve treats. Its hearty enough to withstand chickony attentions.... LOL.

Some people plant wheat grass in trays covered in plastic wire mesh... as the grass grows up the chickens prune it off. The wire mesh keeps them from digging up the grass completely.

here are some threads on the subject
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627282/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees

actually there are several below that one
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=poisonous+plant+list

here is one on herbs looks to be well researched but I would verify as well....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/372896/by-request-the-ethno-botanical-thread

Research research research.... you will find varying points of view that may or may not be correct or reasonable....

For instance the "apple seeds are poisonous".... statement while is true its only true if they eat about a cup full in one setting.

I find the chickens tend to avoid that which isnt good for them as long as they have a good quality balanced ration available as their "main Course"

edited to add: some of these threads are over six years old so commenting in them might not be fruitful.

deb

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Oooh, Kale would be good, I feed that to my rats and goldfish as well.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

They all will like spinach and zucchini as well. For My fish and zucchini, I sliced medallions and hung it by a string and a fishing weight to keep it under water. Rats and Chickens are both omnivores. Both like animal protein as well. Give the rats a soup bone so they can wear their teeth down....

Chickens love all kinds of cooked meats... Give them the turkey carcass after thanks giving and it will be clean as a whistle in no time. Canned tuna and or sardines are good to give them to boost their protein up during molt. As a snack not regular diet. The Sardines have a high calcium content which is good for them. as well.

I Used to have a flock of Guinea Fowl and was concerned that I couldnt allow them to free range. Guinea Fowl are good foragers and will clean up your property of ticks and small vertibrates. My predator load here is too crazy to let them free range. So i supplemented their diet with Catfish pellets.... Per a suggestion by someone who raises exotics for the zoo.

deb

5. LadyVictorian

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Oh interesting, I do feed my rats chicken and other cooked meat including shrimp and fish and scrambled eggs with mealworms which they love. Never thought to feed a chicken turkey though but hey that is one way to get rid of the leftovers from Thanksgiving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by