1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Herbs in the lay boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jk47, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I heard form my grand mother that when she was a kid they would put some herbs in each nests box and her faimily claimed that senc
    It smelled good the hens would want to lay more is their any fact about this or is it just a bunch of folklore

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe that the sense of smell of chickens is quite limited; therefore, I would say folklore. That being said herbs, fresh hay, clean nest boxes result in pleasant smelling eggs.

2 people like this.
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't think it matters if a hen wants to lay more or not--any more than wanting a baby will make a human woman ovulate more.

I agree with sourland though--the herbs will make gathering eggs more pleasant for you, so go for it!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The herbs may also deter pests as well [​IMG]

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ideas for herbs? I'm thinking lemon balm, not sure what else would be appropriate/safe to use. Perhaps dried marigold as well.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA

That's an idea like what other posters said what herbs would be good/safe sences hens will eat or try to eat anything that's a plant
    And thank you all for reading my posts and giving helpfully advise

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I put rosemary and thyme (or basil or oregano or whatever I've got on hand that smells nice) and when my lavender comes back, I'll add that as well. Usually just things I've got on hand and cook with, they get all that stuff in scraps so I didn't figure it would bother them if they ate it. Tho, I've never seen them eating it, just placing it on their backs when they nest. Its wonderful to hug a chicken that smells like rosemary or lavender [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by