Herbs & treats for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MollyMalone, Mar 2, 2017.

1. MollyMalone

MollyMalone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Hi everyone!
    I am a newbie to the world of chickens and got my first chicks a couple of days ago. I have read that if you give unmediated organic chick starter (as I am) it can be helpful to supplement the chicks diet with the following:
    Apple cider vinegar in their water with a touch of honey or sugar
    Nettle tea
    Mashed egg
    Various chopped herbs.
    And as a treat: crushed dried mealworms (with grit)
    I've been giving the chicks all of the above and they appear to be thriving but I'm still a bit nervous :/
    Anyone out there who adds theses things to their chicks diet?
    Any / all advice appreciated!!

2. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    I don't have a lot of info for you, but I'm learning a lot more about natural chicken care as i wait for my babies to arrive. Lisa Steele of Fresh Eggs Daily recommends these in her new Gardening with Chickens book for healthy baby chicks: basil, cilantro, dandelion, oregano, and tarragon. Chemical free, of course. Oregano being #1 in her opinion, which matches all I've learned so far.

Also I'll be doing the ACV in water, boiled/ scrambled eggs, a patch of grass and dirt from the garden complete with natural bugs, and whatever else I've forgotten, lol! :p

3. MollyMalone

MollyMalone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Lisa Steele must have been one of the people I read :)
    The chicks LOVE the ACV and the herbs! I tried some plain yoghurt but there's been no interest in that at all. I did add probiotic powder yesterday (would have from day one but couldn't get it). We are on day 5 now and all butts are spotlessly clean and all chicks seem very healthy.
    I've been concerned that they might be too young for the crushed mealworms but Ive been giving them for a few days now and can't see any problems. The chicks go nuts for them - it's hysterical!!
    Great idea to add grass from garden - thank you!! It makes sense to introduce them slowly to the bacteria they will be dealing with outside [​IMG] I'm going to do that today. I am totally besotted with my girls (and, most likely, boys) :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by