Herbs??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    What herbs can be safely feed to adult stock, without affecting the taste of the eggs?? I have a great herb garden and would like to throw some into the girls if they would enjoy it..Thank you .Dixie

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I always wondered the same thing. I dont mind if they change the taste of my eggs though as long as they dont taste bad.

3. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    I put herbs in my omlettes...[​IMG]

seriously, I think someone said onions and garlic can affect taste.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I throw everything green that get pulled up in the chicken run. Weeds, iceplant, herb trimmings, lettuce... What they don't eat they enjoy picking through and I rake up the leftovers after a day or two and put them in the compost. I have not noticed any taste difference depending on what specific foods they ahve had (the eggs all taste good!). [​IMG]

Vicki

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I found that the hens foraging in my backyard didn't have any interest in my herb garden, Dixie. There are quite a few choices out there but none of the plants were really at risk of being eaten.

Clemson University fed a 3% garlic ration to their chickens. According to taste tests, consumers actually preferred the flavor of the eggs. [​IMG]

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by