Herbs

Slotred

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
My herb garden is flourishing, so would it be OK to put some rosemary, parsley, basil, mint, etc. clippings in for the 3-week old australorps?

I wouldn't feed them too much of it because I don't think they need too many "treats" at first. Their chick starter has everything they need and if they fill up on herbs, they may upset their nutritional balance. I would give them small amounts at first, with grit, and see how they like it but don't let them fill up on it. After they are grown, I would think it would be fine to feed them as much as they want, but I can imagine that the more pungent herbs will flavor their eggs.
smile.png
Keep us posted and
welcome-byc.gif

I tell my girls that rosemary, parsley, sage, and thyme go GREAT with chicken and they hardly peck at it haha. It won't hurt them one bit as far as plant varieties but the above poster is correct in that you should limit treats a bit.

PS - they don't like mint. Maybe yours will, but after a taste or two, mine don't touch it. So at least I have one plant that I don't have to surround with wire!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom