Herding/poultry guardian dogs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chris19, Mar 5, 2017.

1. chris19

chris19 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Walnut Grove,CA
    Hey new the site. Does anyone know what dog is good enough to herd chickens but powerful enough to fight off a coyote and raccoon?? I have a german×dutch× belgian shepherd mix but he's terrible at herding.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never looked into getting a livestock guardian dog (LGD) myself but there are quite a few posts about them here on BYC. You might try using the Search feature in the upper left of the screen to see what pops up. There's also a Topic of the Week discussing dogs & chickens, LGD's are part of that discussion: post #1

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chris19, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I agree with NFC and I know I've read posts about that very subject. The dog in my avatar is a chocolate lab and he fits the bill for what you are seeking - he has tangled with raccoons and coyotes and come out on top. Plus, he ignores the chickens...so I guess he doesn't herd them. Now that's not to say I'm advocating labs as chicken guard dogs - I think it's a lot about training and temperament. But as I said, he does the trick for me and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Good luck with your search! [​IMG]

4. chris19

chris19 Just Hatched

Mar 4, 2017
    Walnut Grove,CA

I couldn't find anything:/

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens are not a species that is herded. A livestock guardian dog can be trained to watch over them. I don't think one LGD could fight off large predators, and definitely not if it encounters a pack of coyotes etc.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chris19 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links, I will just wish you all the best.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by