Herding Problem!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PepsNick, Aug 30, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    We spend almost half an hour everyday herding the girls back into their coop! Sometimes we even have to call the neighbors in for help! We have an acre d a backyard, and the chickens live in the veeeeeery backkkkkk. AAK! We have to go through TONS of bushes, hamics, paths, under trampolines and through meadows to get them in! Then chase them in circles around the coop when they can't find the door! They are 17-18 (and one 14 weeker) old, and are just warmng up to me. But I don't want to be the scary chicken guy who chases them with sticks for half an hour everyday! [​IMG](((( but they won't go in! They are blueberry, watermelon and corn- holics. Also like grapes. Pepper is pretty good and will come when called. BR of course LOL! Liz (BO) Is a stupid dits who cant even walk out the coop door without hitting a wall! Zucchini's average (14 weeker) and lily's pretty good. Than I always have to chase Amelia around the coop for 10 mins and then capture her by her legs in mid air! Please helppp! Should I just bare and wait till they go in on their own at evening time??

Thanks! Help is URGENT!!

Best wishes, Nick

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I do, if they don't go to bed on their own then it is much easier to pick up a sleeping chicken and carry them into the coop then it is to chase them around the yard.

I don't know what your coop setup is, but maybe you can leave them in there for a day or two until they know that it is home and safe.

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Oh my goodness, that doesn't sound fun at all; for you or the chickens. You might try letting them out later in the day maybe an hour or so before dark so they stay closer to the coop and then giving them a treat in the coop to lure them in instead of having to chase them. Once this works, start letting them out earlier and earlier. If they learn that there will always be a treat, they should go right in. Eventually they will go in on their own.

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

lock them in the coop, leave them there for three to four days, all day/night, then let them out again... they'll recognize it better as home sweet home then.

Also if you turn a light on at sunset for them to come to it helps, and give them some treats in the coop since you have that light there. If there's not electricity there, get one of those battery operated lanterns to turn on for an hour or so... I have a couple around the house since we lose power pretty often, the batteries will hold up to that easily for quite a while. Also, if you go give them treats during the day near or in the coop, scatter some scratch or sunflower seeds near the coop so they think returning to it is a good thing. That's my best advice.

You won't have to keep turning a light on for long, after a week or two, they'll go there on their own without the light.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Yep this works..
    After I moved my coop a few had some problems finding it again. The above works...
    Also Just go and lock them in at dark, let them come in them selves.
    IMO predators are more of an issue in the early AM.. Not so many out at dusk.
    ON

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Yep this works..
    After I moved my coop a few had some problems finding it again. The above works...
    Also Just go and lock them in at dark, let them come in them selves.
    IMO predators are more of an issue in the early AM.. Not so many out at dusk.
    ON

Ditto

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Definitely. It sure is a lot less work that way! [​IMG]

8. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    A little bit of chicken scratch each time you put them in there and they will be at a FULL RUN toward that coop whenever they see you. Mine love that stuff to the point that I call it chicken crack... It's ridiculous.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:omg! thanks! i tried that! they come RUNNING! lol... chicken crack!

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    use food!!!!!!!!!!!!!! works everytime for me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by