Here a newbie, there a newbie, everywhere a newbie..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by riverlivin, Jan 14, 2015.

1. riverlivin

riverlivin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Ok I'll try to keep it short. I'm 44, grew up till 16 with backyard chickens, got married and was chicken free for 25+?years. Fast for are to last summer. Stayed in a friends home for the summer while they were away. My stay included carrying for their 4 hens. I fell in love. I was heart broken when I found out all four had to succumb to local wild life. Anyway, I want a couple of my own chickens. I prefer silkies only because I hear they the least chicken like of all the breeds. Because I was an insta-"farmer" and it's been way too many years, I'm in need of guidance in ALL manners of chicken raising. Unfortunately it wasn't until AFTER I moved in last summer I was informed of my chicken duty so I received NOT instruction. I've since discovered from my various readings is the hens I was charged with were actually not cared for properly. Too many examples. Ok here comes the short part does BYC suggest a chickens for dummies type book? Start to finish, proper coop set up, breed pro/cons, food, enemies, winterized ion, life expectancy etc etc etc. actually, I would love to sit down with most any of you for a few hours as you downloaded the essentials in my brain... Alas I'm forced to read a book. This site is a WEALTH of knowledge, too much perhaps. Also varying opinions, sometimes contradictory.
    Links, thoughts, suggestions????

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. At the upper right hand portion of the page click on 'Store'. They feature a Chicken Raising for Dummies book. I have not read it, but have seen it recommended by others. Plan properly, and you will be successful.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Along with checking out that book, another good book is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow. Both should be great for a new chicken owner.

Be sure to look at the Learning Center, too: Learning Center Articles It has lots of information for new chicken owners as well.

If you can find answers to any of your questions, just feel free to ask! We're all here to help.

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sourland and Wyandottes7 have given you some good advice. Definitely read through our Learning Center that Wyandottes7 left you the link for. There is loads of good information there than can help you avoid many mistakes. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You've gotten some great input so far on your question(s) - but I wanted to say
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. riverlivin

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    I would like to ask, how bad would it be if I left my ladies locked in the pen during the week and let them free range on wknds when I'm home? I had a great set up at the place I stayed in over the sumner. Neighbor collected eggs m-f and let the girls out to run our adjoining 2+ acres. I brought them in at night and if I wasn't home by 7 she put them away on her nightly stroll. I had chicken duty on the weekends. We work and leave before dawn and in this winter season return after dark. I'm not comfortable letting my new flock out if I won't be home until well after sunset. I live on the banks of the Sacramento river and wildlife is prolifent.

7. riverlivin

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Sorry if I am miss using the ovation feature...

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

The other posters have given you some good advice already. It would be fine to keep your chickens confined until you can observe them, and then let them out to free range for a while. There is always a chance of predator attack with free ranging, but the risk is much less before dark and with you around.

1 person likes this.
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Leaving them in their pen (coop/run) during the week is fine as long as you have enough space for them. The recommended minimum is 4 sq. ft. of floor space per bird for the coop (more is better), and 10 sq. ft. per of floor space per bird for the run (again, more is better). Overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. As for the ovations, you did just fine. I appreciated it, and I'm sure the other members did as well.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    x2 on all points. Our flock only gets to go out and about during the time we are home which means that during the week they only get out during the longer days of summer when there is actually daylight left when I get home from work -during the winter we only turn them out on weekends when we can keep an eye on them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by