1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here are pics for my Hen or roo post (Sweet, 4 month Blue Cochin)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MERCERS, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MERCERS

MERCERS Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    La Canada
    Thank you all for your patience and help so far! I am now permitted to post pics. Here's my post from this morning and the pics:

Hi, everyone! This is my first post and our family are are first-time chicken owners. One of our 3 is a sweet and docile Blue Cochin who surprised us by loudly crowing twice two days ago, around 10 am. She has been silent since. She has little spur buds, but so do our other two (RI red and the Leghorn cross). No obvious tail feathers yet, although her wattle is bigger than the other's. She also has a very fuzzy, downy bottom, and doesn't mind be held, even on her back.

Please help a new chicken family learn whether "Misty" is a boy or girl!

Is 3-4 months old enough to sex a Cochin? Would a roo have obvious tail feathers by now? From what I've read here, spur buds are not a reliable sign, and that roo-like behavior sometimes happens in the absence of a dominant roo.

Or are we just kidding ourselves ? (Out little kids would be so sad to see Misty go...)

THANK YOU!!!

Here's a short YouTube clip, showing what a pussycat s/he is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a cockerel with those hackles also comb and wattles are pretty large . that little bump on the leg is pointless in determining sex as both pullets and cockerels have them (its a spur bump). cant always go by crowing eaither though as some hens do crow

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    cockerel.

5. Blackout8538

Blackout8538 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    cockerel i think

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Definitely a boy. I adore my boy Cochins as much as my girls. So sad you can't keep him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by