Here are some updated pics of Otis our Basenji puppy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kycklingmamma, May 15, 2009.

1. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I wanted to post some pics of Otis. He is now 4 months old and doing great. He is definitely a different dog than my Dachshund and Schnorkie, in a good way and in a not so bad but drive me crazy kind of way. The most positive thing...no barking..none what so ever, this breed doesn't bark. the most annoying thing...selective hearing/stubborness, or whatever you want to call it when he clearly hears you but ignores you. I have since I got him two weeks ago, but all of the dogs on the raw diet-BARF- and they are doing great. The dachshund desperatly needs to loose a few lbs, and the Schnorkie needs to gain a few, but she is extremely picky with her food. The raw stuff she goes gaga over, and Otis, well he loves it too.

Here is Otis posing so very nicely, " 'cause I'm pretty like that"
    [​IMG]
    Here Gus and Otis is playing up a storm.
    [​IMG]
    ..and here they are getting their meaty raw bones..yumm-o
    [​IMG]
    More meaty bones..
    [​IMG]
    Kycklingmamma

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    He's gorgeous!
    Yes, Basenji have "selective hearing". We have a 10 yr old Basenji & Terrier mix named Sparky--he was in a box headed to the pound when I got him years ago. He looks & acts like a full blooded Basenji, right down to the yodel. He's a sweetheart but I joke that we are dropouts of two obedience classes.

3. kycklingmamma

I know, I am kind of leary of the obedience class. He is starting one next week for 8 weeks ahead and I have heard of Basenjis being notorius OC drop outs or failures..LOL. We will see.

Kycklingmamma

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Hee hee yessss and he will train you well. [​IMG] The term "cat-dog" will become a new part of your vocabulary.

I love his brindle coat. Mine was fawn. Awesome how they can look so grown in a mere 4 months! I'm really glad that you've read up on this breed before deciding to get one. I didn't. I just saw mine, fell in love and oh boi...at least you know what to expect and can hopefully prepare yourself with the if's and thens.

Congrats. [​IMG] He is beautiful!

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    He's such a beautiful and unusual dog! I don't think I've ever seen one in person before. Very photogenic too!

6. kycklingmamma

Yes I did a lot of reasearch before I told my hubby I wanted one for Mother's Day. I knew what I was getting myself into, but every day I still marvel at his differences, good and not so good ones.
    I too love the brindle coat, his being very dark brindle. I want a fawn, or red as they are called, female one day not now though...let's see how this turns out first.
    It is funny, but I think the other dogs see him as different as well. It took them a good week, week and a half before they accepted him, but now they are all best of buds.

Kycklingmamma

7. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    wow cute dog, although I admit I know nothing about them. They are not common in my area I know that. I have only seen them on the Dog shows on Animal Planet. I love brindle on any dog.

8. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    [​IMG] He's beautiful!

Mitzi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by