Here are the chicks in their new home.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jimz1, May 9, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Here's some pics of the chicks in thier new home. It's not quite finished, need pop door and vents, but when they think no one is around they run and jump and seem like they are liking it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I know it doesn't look like they do.HONEST.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, that's very nice! I was wondering, are you chicks large fowl or bantam? The reason I'm asking is that you might want to nail some 2x4s, the broad side up on top of your roost boards. This helps your chickens keep their feet and toes warm in colder weather, because they have to keep their feet flat, and then they sit on their feet, thus avoiding frostbite. (I am geographically challenged, so just ignore this if your state doesn't get cold winters.)

Wonderful little chicks and coop!

Good job!

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Nice. It is so fun to watch them get used to a new home. I had to laugh at my mixed flock of adolescents the other day. I cleaned out their coop, and put in wood shavings instead of straw. They were scarred silly on the new stuff in their coop! Took me over an hour to get them to go to bed. [​IMG]

I would comment though, you may want to change out the roosts to something made of 2x4's with the wide side up. Chickens need their feet flat under them at night.

4. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I plan on keeping the coop above freezing in the winter, so I think the roost will work, won't it?

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Rounded edges are more comfy.
    As long as the coop is draft free the fully feathered birds can handle the cold northern temps. The roost needs to be wide enough to allow their feet to be in a flat position under them so that their feet are kept warm. If the toes curl around the roost the risk of frostbite on their toes increases. All none feathered parts are usually what would be at risk of frostbite.

Read quite a few posts this past winter on chooks loosing toes and even their whole foot.
    Better to be safe as you cannot predict loss of power in winter storms.

6. ARose4Heaven

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Not only is the 2x4 roost healthier for the birds, but the thin roost will not support more than 2 or 3 full sized birds. They will instinctively all want to sit on the topmost roost, and as they get bigger, it will bow, then bend, and eventually break. This is the voice of experience.

7. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    my hens sit on 2x4s and after 7 mos, they're already starting to bend in the middle

8. ARose4Heaven

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I use wooden stair rails for roosts. They are wide enough for the chicken's feet, and no sharp edges. They are also made of hard wood, so they don't sag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by