Here are the lil babies! Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GeeVee, Jul 27, 2010.

1. GeeVee

GeeVee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Sonoma County
    I think my hatch is finishing up. I have 17 chicks total, including the double-wide, who I had to help a little. It still isn't walking, but I'm letting it rest.
    This hatch included 11 supermarket eggs (9 hatched), and 12 eggs from a local farm (8 hatched).
    Here are some pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the supermarket chicks are spotted? They are simply supposed to be RIR/white leghorn cross.
    [​IMG]

My 2 half americaunas with their cute little cheeks
    [​IMG]

2. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Cute!

3. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    So let me get this right u bought eggs from the cooler / dairy section and put the eggs in the incubator and they hatched?????

that is awesome if I understand right or were they selling eggs to incubate??

4. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    No kidding! Is that really what you did, GeeVee?! I wouldn't think mass-produced chicken eggs would be fertile.

Last year I lost my flock to coyotes, but a friend hatched 19 (out of 32) fertile eggs I had accumulated. My roo was a gorgeous Black Australorp, and the most of the hens were Red Star Sex Links and Black Star Sex Links. Some of the males that hatched out looked like your spotted babies, white with black spots. I called 'em my little chocolate chippers, until they grew bigger and started getting obnoxious. Then I called them "heading to auction." [​IMG]

Edited to add: the chick in my avatar was from that hatch. I presume the ones that looked like that were mostly out of the Black Star hens, although I had a couple Easter Egger crosses that looked similar (black with yellow eyeliner, etc., and gray legs).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. GeeVee

Jul 24, 2010
    Sonoma County
    Yep, they were in the dairy section at the local supermarket. I've seen the same eggs at Safeway! The cartons advertise that they are fertile brown eggs. They are from a place called rock island farm. I am curious to see how they turn out- hope the spotted ones aren't all roosters!

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I did that once. Got a great hatch! But you are right amysflock. Most mass produced eggs have never been fertilized. The place I bought mine from sold them for eating or hatching and they were RIR crosses too. Ask around your area to see if anyone sells fertilized eggs. [​IMG] These days I prefer certain breeds but back then I was hatching for my students and didn't care what the breeds were. The results were better than shipped eggs.

7. Turtle Island

Turtle Island Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Wow -- I've bought some Rock Island Farm eggs in the past year, when our girls weren't laying ... a few did have that 'definitely fertile' appearance. That's really something -- hatching supermarket eggs. That has me chuckling :). Your chicks are sooo cute. Wish we had space to let our broodies (mom and three pullets are broody for the 2nd time this year!) sit on some eggs and hatch them .... (sigh!)

8. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:That is hilarious!!! and awesome! [​IMG]
    congrats on such a success!! [​IMG]

i have rir in bator 22 and 4 mutts!!

9. GeeVee

Jul 24, 2010
    Sonoma County
    I had my doubts about the eggs truly being fertile, but I believe it now. It was just a fun little experiment that resulted in 9 healthy chickies [​IMG]

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would of never thought of this as a possibility! Cute pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by