HERE ARE THE PICS OF THE MYSTERY 4 TOED SPLASH 'SILKIES' LETS HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CollegeChicken, Aug 4, 2014.

1. CollegeChicken

CollegeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    In this bunch one white silkie ( 5 toes, looks like it will be a good looking silkie ) one EE, and two 'splash silkies' as they were sold to me , who only have 4 toes...real silkies or not??
    and the little brown one in the back with the tan face is a 'japanese bantam"....I still havent gotten a straight answer as to what that is but I think I have an idea... lol What do ya'll think???
    [​IMG]

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It is possible that they are pure, not overly likely though. It's common for a toe to be missing giving them 9 instead of 10, sometimes its genetic and they are born with it and others they injure and loose a toe. That being said it is possible that they are a throwback to when a different line of type of bird was introduced to add variety/ colour. However from looking at your chicks I can say that I have never seen splash silkies with markings like that, so I would think that they are not pure, especially seeing that they both only have 4 toes each. It will be interesting to see how they feather out as well and I would love if you could update this with pics as they grow

3. CollegeChicken

Jun 3, 2014
    the salesgirl ( I want to scream ) says she never told me they were silkies and they are japanese bantams....

4. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    ... I would want to scream, and I'd also make a complaint with the manager/ owner on the grounds that they have told you they are one thing yet they are another. I cannot tell from the pics if they have the black skin but you should be able to tell me. Do they have black/ dark grey skin? their beaks should also be a dark colour and they should have a sort of topknot on their heads ( not always obvious but the skin colour is) if they don't have black skin then they are not silkies. I hope that irregardless you can enjoy your babies

5. CollegeChicken

Jun 3, 2014
    thankyou Stiggy, I care for them and enjoy them just as I do all my pets but I am disappointed because Ive been a very good customer of the store for several years and I had the chicks for less than 17 hours and they would NOT swap them out for silkie chicks....even though they have silkies in stock - but the salesgirl didnt know her breeds and I over estimated her knowledge and therefore ended up with a breed I had no interest in...I am trying to find out more about the breed before I consider re-homing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by