Here Chick, Chick

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hozer, May 13, 2010.

1. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    Thought you all might find this picture interesting. There are 18 chickens inside the coop crapping themselves.

[​IMG]

2. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    OMGosh [​IMG] That ladies and gentlemen is why we have covered runs. Huge but beautiful eagle!
    Thanks for sharing

3. Hozer

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    I cropped the picture so you can get a better idea of the size of the eagle. The door it is standing on about 5 feet tall.

[​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Magnificent!!

5. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    YIKES..always have them flying above..never have landed..Awesome pic though!

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    [​IMG] Amazing photo--what a gorgeous eagle! And yes, this makes me glad (again) that my run is covered! Good thing yours was, otherwise you'd definitely have less chickens right now.

7. Hozer

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    The thing with eagles is, you don't see much feathers...just one less chicken at head count because they can carry them away. I let my chickens out a few days ago and they came tearing back to the spruce trees behind the coop. I went to see what scared them and an eagle was on the ground (probably this one). It flew right off. They are actually pretty shy. I did a head count and was 2 short, but they showed up in a few hours. One hen lost a few feathers.
    It must have missed.

I also had a hawk get caught in the netteng briefly. The bright side is we don't have much in the way of small predators...no raccoons, possums, snakes, rats, foxes, etc. Some people let their rabbits roam and they do quite well...sometimes too well. Of course there is always the stray dog. They don't last too long around here.

8. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Oh WOW. If I had an eagle that big roaming by my house I'd have a few less chickens. I have a hawk about half that size and when he tries to get them, he has to beat himself away because my roos all jump on him. He hasn't been back in a while, but did manage two hens before the roos decided they were bigger and could get him back...

Not that eagle. Again, WOW. He's beautiful. Good thing that run is covered.

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Beautiful photo! I also have my coop covered. My husband didn't think we really needed it at first, then I pointed out the huge hawks that fly over. Well, sure enough, one day my neighbor comes up to us and says, I heard your chickens making all sorts of noises, went out to see what was us, and there was a hawk stuck in the top of your covering. Now wait...aren't they supposed to have better eye sight than that? [​IMG]
    We're thinking he was too hungry to even see anything but chicken! [​IMG]
    My neighbor said his wing span was huge. My poor babies...scared them pretty good I guess. [​IMG]

10. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Great pic! [​IMG] Magnificent bird. Glad you didn't lose any of yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by