Here comes IKE!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CountryMom, Sep 10, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Well, not sure how many of you are on the Gulf Coast of Texas, but looks like we are in for it. We are about 80 miles inland and right north of Victoria. I suspect it is going to get bad. Hubby is buying plywood for the windows and today and tomorrow will be spent picking up and putting everything where it can't blow around. I have no way to transport an entire ranch of animals, so we are making plans to turn out horses and cows to the big pasture and lock up the rest. Chickens have their coops and guinea pigs their barn. Barn cats will find a hole under something I am sure. I am still not quite sure what to do with the Quail. Maybe strap their cage to a fence and cover it with plywood??? I will keep the babies in the house. We are still planning on staying as we know we couldn't get back quick enough to tend to everything. That may change if this thing gets bigger than a low 3.

Hope everyone else in our area is able to get safe.

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    oh my.. I am so sorry this is happening.. I know what it feels like..

I have herd that horses do "better" out in the pasture.. Have you ever done that before?

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Best wishes that you all remain safe and your animals make it through OK too! [​IMG]

4. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Hey CountryMom, I'm in Victoria, where are you?
    I'm not jumping the gun just yet but I am prepared to gather up and leave.
    We have ourselves, a lot of dogs and the cats to worry about. The chicks and pigs will be left behind and I'll have them in my prayers.
    I'm crossing my fingers that it stays south of us, I can deal with wind and rain but a full blown direct hit will probably devastate our little farm.

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I live north of Houston, so I'm hoping I don't have to scramble to figure out to do with my chickens, etc. Not that I want Ike to go anyone else's direction, I just hope it doesn't come mine!

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Hoping for the best for all of you!

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:any way you could put the quail in the garage or another building?.Even if you cant move the cages maybe in crates?.Praying for the best for you.

8. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Good luck with Ike. For us in the keys it was a flea fart. It is an impressive storm though and is predicted to strengthen so batten down the hatches or get the hell outta there. Do you have too many quail to put in a bathtub? Stay safe and good luck again!!!

9. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Praying for you and all those in Ike's path & rath. I live about 280 miles from Victoria and sure wish there was somehting I could do. I would be [​IMG] and wouldn't be able think straight.

10. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'm in Bastrop County and praying for all of y'all south Texas way. We have a 100% chance of rain on Saturday with Tornadoes and and high wind forcasted.

Nervous is me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by