1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here comes the fluff parade

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Paintedpaws, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Paintedpaws

Paintedpaws New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    Hello, new here and I just couldn't resist showing off our newest peeping puffballs >w< Of the three hens that are being broody, this is, so far, the only one that's had her nest hatch, and we now have six little balls of cute <3

There's three little black ones that I believe are barred rocks (at least half), two of them have black legs and beaks.
    A little gold one (a Rhodie or sex link, I suspect)
    And two yellow ones that are probably Buff orpingtons, though one does intrigue me quite a bit because...
    [​IMG]
    It has spots =D To be honest, I'm kind of expecting them to fade as it grows up, but it would be nice if they stayed >w<
    The rest of the puffs and their mother;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We currently have them in the garage until the coop is cleaned, then they'll be set up in an area under the roost :3

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Very Cute!!

3. meezerslovesmee

meezerslovesmee New Egg

Jun 21, 2013
    Gainesville FL
    So stinking cute!!!
    We are letting our broody hatch her 1st
    clutch, & Wednesday is hatch day!!!
    I'm so excited!
    Congrats on your new additions! <3

4. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So cute! Are the eggs all from your flock or did you get hatching eggs? Seems to me I've seen some breed that the chick has black spots like that. Can't remember though.

5. Paintedpaws

Paintedpaws New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    Yup, all from our flock, so there's no telling what it may be a mix of xD

6. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    The spots are supposed to be how you can sex Buff Orpingtons. Most say it means male, some say female-let us know what it turns out to be!

7. Paintedpaws

Paintedpaws New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    Unfortunately I found the little spotted one dead this morning :< I'm not terribly surprised, since it seemed pretty lacking in energy yesterday, figure it either wasn't eating enough (all we have at the moment is the adult chicken food and scratch, though the other peeps seem to be doing fine with that,) or what ever it was a cross of just wasn't a good combo and left it quite weak (had that happen before.)

8. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I have a polish that was lethargic one day and I kept thinking it was going to die. I gave it a tiny amount of sugar water and it was up and running in no time. Never had a problem since

9. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Chicks need a higher protein diet...I feed all of mine game bird started...now I hardly ever lose one...~Charm1704

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by