1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here did you get your Hova Bator Genesis?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scifisarah, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Looking to buy a Hovabator Genesis 1588. Any advice on the best place online to get one? I'll probably want to buy the egg turner as well, unless I can pick up a used one on craigslist for cheap. I've only seen the Little Giant still air incubators at the Family Farm and Home and Tractor Supply.

2. msmeower

msmeower Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Flat Creek, TN
    1 person likes this.
  3. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I've been looking into getting one as well, but haven't considered buying from anyone but the manufacturer yet. I was wondering if service would be the same if anything were to go wrong with the incubator. The difference between price in just the incubator is $8--not sure what they charge for shipping though. And if you buy directly from GQF, the 1588 is actually on backorder right now for another week it looks like (was 2 weeks last time I checked).

How are your broodies doing with the cochin eggs?

4. KLRA

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Well it looks like if you're going to buy a turner too, you'll save about $20 if you go with cutlersupply.com instead of GQF. That's hatching egg money!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    My red cochin has hatched 2/6 eggs. One chick is healthy, but one either died after hatching of natural causes, or didn't get covered well enough by mom and froze - was in the 30s last night. My buff hen has hatched 3/6 and one more egg is almost zipped all the way around. She keeps getting off the nest with the 3 chicks and leaving the eggs though, so I am starting to get a little concerned about her behavior since technically, tonight at 11:45 pm is the 21 day mark. Is it very bad if she is getting off the eggs for several minutes at a time when they are in the middle of hatching? It is 45 degrees out right now...

6. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
  7. KLRA

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I've never hatched with a broody, but I can't imagine that's a good thing for her to be doing right now. Do you have a brooder for the chicks? I'd move them to a warm spot if mama's not going to keep them warm! Congrats on the ones you have so far, and sorry about the one you lost :( that always gets me. Keep us updated on the luckypickens thread!

8. KLRA

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I just checked shipping on the incubator to Oregon. It's $22-$26 for UPS ground (the cheapest) depending on which accessories I add. That seems kind of steep to me... Does GQF use a flat shipping rate, or do they also charge by weight?

9. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    She is taking good care of the three chicks that have fluffed out - taking them to food and water, but I am just worried about the 3 eggs in the process of hatching. I do not unfortunately have an incubator right now. :(

I will take photos of all the chicks and post on the Lucky Pickens thread once I am sure no more are coming. So far, all 4 chicks are different colors! :)

10. Scifisarah

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Oregon is pretty far from Michigan, so that is probably about right. Only costs ~$10 for Priority shipping to have it sent across the state. I imagine shipping cost depends on weight, of the package is considered "oversized" and how far away you are. I have an Etsy store and sell some things on ebay, and shipping can really cost quite a bit sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by