Here Goes Hatch One! 11 Chickys in the Brooder & 3 eggs left -Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicky Tocks, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I was able to procure with our fellow BYC'er rbamterry of Arkansas' help, 12 beautiful blue EE eggs and six extra EE mixes. You can't see how truly blue and gorgeous these eggs are with my camera, but I assure you, they're a lovely color, a light robin's egg blue. Today is day one in the bator!

We're due on April 19. This is my first hatch and I'll be a basketcase before it's all said and done! Never mind the thermometer. I've just put these in and it's on it's way back up. The humidity I'm a little concerned about. It seems high, but it's spring here and we've had a lot of rain. Maybe if I put a piece of bread in there. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Hey - I found your thread. [​IMG]
    LOTS of LUCK and Hatching vibes your way. [​IMG]

Amanda

3. arllcountrygirl

You got the eggs thru me but they actually came from BYC member - DE - We meet on BYC and have quickly become good friends. [​IMG]

4. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh yay! The mystery standard EE breeder has been revealed! Your chickens make beautiful eggs DE. [​IMG]

Day 2.5 and all is well. Temps holding steady at 101-102 (still air) humidity has been easy to maintain. I'm turning them three times a day. My DH called me at work concerned that I was late coming home for lunch and wanted to know if I wanted him to turn the eggs. I yelled "NO DON"T TOUCH THEM! MIIIIINEEEE!!!!

I'm wondering...do eggs get heavier in the incubator before they get lighter? I've read that as they grow, they tend to lighten up, but I picked one up earlier this morning and it felt like an incredibly heavy egg.

5. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I hope that you will keep us up to date on the eggs... I hope all hatch..... I have has 2 different rooster in with them. So it will be nice to see what come out of them.... De

6. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    And the mix. ones are in a pen with a frizzle, cochin, polish roosters. So you will have some different chicks... De

7. arllcountrygirl

Well are you excited!! How is it going??
    Just a few more days. [​IMG]

8. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Have you candled? How did that go? Inquiring minds wanna know. *Grins*

9. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah! I've candled several times [​IMG] On day 11 I candled everybody in the bator and all were wiggly. Since then I've been candling random eggs. It's getting really thick in those eggs. And my little LED flashlight burned out 3 of it's bulbs, and that doesn't help matters, but I can still make out a little rolling.

Then the little eggies grew so much that they started putting out heat and my temps in the bator went up to 103+ So I've adjusted that back down to compensate. Tomorrow I stop turning, crank up the humidity and thus starts the 3 day wait.

I'm sooooo excited! It will be hard not to crack the bator open for 3 or 4 whole days!

10. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Add to that, that EEs don't candle very well!!! ugg

I currently have 23 eggs in my bator, 5 are EEs and I have no idea if they are fertile are not...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by