Here goes nothing.. My little chicken coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by humpbacks1962, Aug 2, 2011.

1. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    I am no carpenter. In fact, this is the first time I build anything pretty much by myself. My son helped me lift the roof and hold the posts to screw the frame together. I made my mistakes and there's gaps here and there that need to be filled with some sealant I am getting tomorrow.

But I don't think it is hallf bad! It does not jiggle anywhere, holds my weight and the roof does not leak in the rain.

[​IMG]

If it looks familiar, the plan is free in the Purina webpage: http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/default.aspx

Total
    cost, I estimate to be very close to $150. That is including lumber, corrugated roof panels, hardware and sealant to winterize it. I had some left over paint but still bought two small cans of green.

The plan is not that user friendly for a newbie. The process is not to detailed. You may need some coaching from someone but if I put it together by myself, anyone else can too!

2. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice job! You should be proud of yourself!

3. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    That is an adorable coop and I love the colors!! [​IMG]

4. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    That is so cute! I love the colors, they remind me of a little chicken cottage. You should be so proud of yourself!

5. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    You did a great job!

6. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Looks good to me![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I went looking for plans in various places, asked for advice here, but my boyfriend ended up planning and building our coops w/o much written down at all (and he's the one in his family who HASN"T started planning or building his retirement home, on land their dad's gonna leave them). All our girls have a place to go at night, + a decent-sized fenced-in run, for times we don't "let them out to play" in the backyard (aka free-range)

7. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    Gee, you are all so kind!
    Thanks [​IMG]

8. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I like it! [​IMG]

9. cluckcluckboom

cluckcluckboom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011