Here goes nothing!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wtrsfam4, Mar 13, 2016.

1. wtrsfam4

wtrsfam4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    We have been talking about chickens for a couple years, and finally brought a couple home this week. Our 2 girls (barred rock) join our family of 3 boys (6,4,15mo) and the boys are excited about the new babies. We have plans to add a few more (and then probably more...cough Chicken Math cough) in the upcoming weeks. Getting our second brooder area ready for their arrival of a mixed group of girls.

We unfortunately woke this morning to find one of our girls (the runt) very sick. We are trying to nurse her back to health, but it isn't looking good. Always hard to explain to the little ones. Hoping to learn so much from being here!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome! :frow

I hope the little runt gets back to full health. Offer electrolytes in her water, also hard boiled eggs are a wonderful energy boost for sick ones.

Good luck!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes the bigger chicks run rough shod over the smaller one - or prevent them from getting to the feeder or water. She would probably do better in her own little box inside the brooder so she can catch up. I hope she will be okay.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. wtrsfam4

wtrsfam4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Thanks, I did put her in her own box. We've done eggs & syringe fed water several times throughout today. She seemed to perk up for a bit, but is back down again. It isn't looking too promising at this point.

7. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the little one not being well. If you lose the runt and end up with a single survivor, she could get lonely...putting a soft toy and an unbreakable mirror in the brooder can make her feel less alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by