Here is a few Pic of my Buff Orpington/Black Orpington Mix & progress

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MIKE555444, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    This mix project was using a Buff Orpington Rooster and Black Orpington Hens. For most part they are very simlar in color with a mostly black body and buff highlights but one chick interestingly turned out opposite with mostly buff color and black highlights. I thought this might determine that one to be a roo but I don’t think so as I think she is a pullet also.

The white colored chicks were actually from a Golden Comet Roo and a Golden Comet Hens. Might be interesting to see how they lay huh?... brown egg?

As Baby chicks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same Chicks at 9 weeks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Awww, they are so pretty! I love how the two are opposite. [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's strange how you can get such a variety of colors from that cross. What is your end goal? Do you think you could do a Golden-Laced pattern?

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:My wifey thought the Orpingtons were kinda plain So I thought Id try to get something a little more interesting by breeding these together. I think they are all pretty but I kinda like the solid buff with the black highlights. Out of several I’ve hatched I have only had only one other turn out like that and the mother hen went nuts and killed it [​IMG]

I was pleasantly surprised that it almost had a lace pattern

5. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is Bustoff, he is a Black Orp and Buff Orp mix. No projects here. Just a breeding that I hatched that I did not know occured. I like his Orp type so much, I am putting in with him a Blue Splash Orp pullet, Buff Orp pullet and prolly a Black Orp pullet to see what comes out. I am hoping for a standard color from him and these girls. Worse case is, I have some large meat birds for the sales barn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

They are very cute, buff in the orpington is a tough color to mess with, has many things unknown about it..

thanks for sharing your crossing photos, may come in handy with other projects going on in the chicken world.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by