Here is a short list of Different Symptoms of respitory illnesses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenzoo, Nov 22, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

For those new and old I thought I'd make a list of some of the more common illnesses since it is a common question.... I'll add more when I can......

MG/MS - One celled organism that attaches itself to the lining of the lung tissue. Spread easily through wet body fluids , such as snot, saliva, and poo. Possible wild bird exposure can contribute. Can be a carrier state, meaning once they have it, they may always be carriers. Often seems to show up during times of stress, Controlled with antibacterial medications such as Tiamulin, Tylan, LA200, Baytril and some Sulfa drugs. Bleach products are known to help kill the organism.
    Symptoms: Wet, water eye/eyes (typically one) and nostrils, swollen sinus, open mouth breathing, wheezing, loss of weight, underdevelopment, failure to grow, when MS is present : limb atrophy, limping, Marek type symptoms...... MG/MS can accompany other diseases or mimic them as well, so MG tests should be done to verify diagnosis. Birds should be Quarantined and kept away from all other birds, should be handled last and all clothes/shoes disinfected before handling other birds or walking where there are other birds or those coming in contact with other birds. (Such as others property, feed stores etc....)

Coryza - Spread easily through wet body fluids, such as saliva, snot and poo. Can be a carrier state, although some success has been noted by using Coryza vaccines.
    Symptoms: Watery, pussy eye (typically one). Yellow, thick snot from nares as illness progresses, often see nostril wipes on birds back feathers. Often has very bad smell about the face from secondary infections. Wheezing, swollen sinus full of puss, open mouth breathing, loss of weight, failure to thrive. Treatment: Tylan, LA 200, Baytril, some Sulfur products such as Sulmet. Often hard puss balls form under third eye lid, in roof of mouth and must be removed. Birds should be Quarantined and kept away from all other birds, should be handled last and all clothes/shoes disinfected before handling other birds, or walking where other bird owners my come in contact.

Fowl Pox- Similar to chicken pox in people. 2 versions, Wet or Dry, Wet being the more serious. Carried by mosquitoes and can even have an outbreak in cooler weather, passed from bird to bird by bites or contact with open wounds the bite leaves. Symptoms - Raised white wart like bumps with blackened scabs, often first noticed on face, eyelids, comb, wattles but can be found anywhere on the skin.
    Scabs crust up and may bleed when picked at, some respiratory symptoms may show such as open mouth breathing and wheezing, watery eye and nares. With outbreak of Wet pox respiratory symptoms worsen, canker type yellow lesions form in the mouth, often blocking throat if not removed, threat of death more sever. Treatment - iodine swabbed on open scabs and on cankers in throat, use of Tylan, La200, Baytril are known to help recovery, especially for Wet pox. One bird has contracted Fowl Pox, usually will not reoccur in that bird. Fowl Pox vaccines are available and are often used in high outbreak locations.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Thought it might help someone................

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thank you chickenzoo. I've never dealt with MG/MS and Coryza...hope I never do. Dry pox and I are old friends. Hope to never see it again neither.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, definitely, thank you. I'll bookmark the thread; it will come in handy.

5. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    HELP![​IMG] MY CHICKEN SHE HAS A SWOLLEN EYE (ONE), BROWNISH SNOT, AND SHE HAS A KIND OF SCAB ON HER EYE AND NOSE?? WHAT KIND OF DISEASE IS IT PLEASE HELP!! SHE IS STILL LAYING SHE JUST LAYED A EGG TODAY?? I BOILED SOME WATER AND PUT SALT IN IT>KNOWN AS SALIN SOLUTION AND RUBBED IT AROUND HER EYE AND WIPED HER NOSE. WILL THIS HELP???? PLEASE HELP

PS does anyone know how to post a question on here cause i can't find out

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Click on Post A New Topic on the right hand side at the top of the page to post a new topic.

Not sure what she has from your description....but if you post a new topic, maybe someone else can help you.

7. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    Do you have to be a member or can anybody do it???? I blind as a bat! I can't find it!!![​IMG]

Thank you

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Click Index, then find the diseases forum, click on it, then click on post new topic on the top right.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thanks! My very first flock of 8 ended up with Coryza. I knew nothing, bought birds from two sources and put them in a pen together. They were just 8 week old pullets so I didn't think they would be sick. Well, we know how Coryza is spread. I learned the hard way.

10. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    Quote:Click Index, then find the diseases forum, click on it, then click on post new topic on the top right.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CHICKEN!!! YOU ROCK:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by