Here is how I water my flock

thumbless

Songster
13 Years
Sep 30, 2009
Mesa AZ
I started with a 225 Gallon water tank I found on craigslist then I got 6" PVC pipe put two end caps on it the cut the pipe in half put a float in one end and connected the hose, and there is my automatic waterer.

Total cost for the project was around $110

42158_img_0290.jpg

42158_img_0289.jpg

42158_img_0287.jpg

42158_img_0286.jpg

With that big a tank, you might want to also figure out how much bleach to put in it to help keep it from growing algae, because it will take so long for the birds to drink it down, it's going to grow it during the summer.

With that big a tank, you might want to also figure out how much bleach to put in it to help keep it from growing algae, because it will take so long for the birds to drink it down, it's going to grow it during the summer

Or organic apple cider vinegar​

nice! I really like the float!

I had kinda the same idea that I am wanting to do for my chickens (when I finish the coop and get them!) but I was going to have my barrel collect rain water from my gutters...but I was told the shingles have fiberglass in them and you cant let animals drink it? any one know if that is true or not?

Last edited:
I built one similar to that a couple of weeks ago but much smaller with no tank so no algae build-up and easy to clean... it uses a toilet fill valve for the inlet.
98066_1.jpg

98066_2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm going to pain the tank so the sun light doesn't get to it.

Even out of the sun, stuff will grow in the tank......

Quote:
I really like that idea. Can you tell me or show me with picture how you attached the pipe from the water tank to the actual waterer please

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom