Here is Long Tall Salley & Slim Jim!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TerriLaChicks, Nov 1, 2009.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Direct from Holderread's in Oregon-- made the trip in less than 24 hours! --
    our new fawn and white Runner pair- welcome to Louisiana, Slim & Salley!
    (Long Tall Salley was a Little Richard song, also recorded by the Beatles, Slim Jim's are a beef jerky type of snack thing popular down here)

[​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    They look great!! [​IMG]

How far did you have to go to get them?

3. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    What a terrific pair, and they seemed to have weathered their transit from Oregon to the South very well. Adding some ducks to our feathered flock is something I'd like to do next spring, but I know nothing about them. How have you learned about keeping ducks, since you are adding these? Guess I need to start reading the "ducks" section here on BYC and getting some books to read about them--good winter reading! We have 3 acres with a 3/4 acre pond. I suppose they would need a "house" and pen area along the margin of the pond. My concern is dogs, including our GSP, Moose, who thinks any bird on the land or water is his. We've fenced him out of the pond and most of its margin with Invisible Fencing, and if I knew the ducks would be smart enough to stay out of his reach, I'd jump for some. Perhaps some of you readers who have both chickens and ducks could chime in here to give us some advice about adding ducks to our place and management tips you've learned. Thanks! (I don't mean to hijack this thread. Moderators, move my post if you know a better place for it. Thanks.) ~G

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    beautiful![​IMG]

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Beautiful! [​IMG]

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:THE book to pick up is "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks." And yes spend more time around these here forums, you'll have ducks in no time [​IMG]

7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are very pretty. I wonder how difficult it is to ship the adult ducks? Do they put them in a crate?

Tia

8. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    So cute, but then I am biased. They look like my Virgil and Victoria.
    Have fun with them.[​IMG]

9. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Which one is the female and which one is the male???

Tia

10. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:the one with the yellow bill is the male the and the one with the orngie bill is the duck (sp)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by