Here is my first episode of "Guess the Sex."

CaddyShackFarms

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2020
New York
I have five 12 week old Golden Laced Wyandottes. They are all suppose to be hens. They all have hennish names. Well, two of these "hens" are starting to look rooster-ish to me. Anyone wanna weigh in? I am looking at their tail and neck feathers. I even asked them, but they didn't answer me. I think they are being coy.
103420426_542325323112532_1483538929195244699_n.jpg
103775278_2626915774190465_5748178919316059752_n.jpg

To tell you the truth, roosters are amazing! For example: My ameraucana rooster just defended my flock and fought a raccoon, long enough for me to kill it. All of my hens are safe and healthy thanks to him! I would have lost the entire flock last night if it wasn't for him. He is sweet, and he LOVES being held. He watches his hens like nobodies business! Plus, he made it out with almost no wounds, just a couple scratches on the legs. . .

I would not plan on keeping all of your roosters. However, a lot is going to depend on your chicken experience, and a huge amount on the space in your coop and run.

Roosters need more room than the 4 ft square often recommended. Roosters have no understanding of the idea of sharing hens, or these are my hens, those are your hens. Roosters kept together often have crowing contests, that you and the neighbors may not like.

Roosters are a crapshoot, a lot do not work, and one should really keep the bare minimum of roosters that will fulfill your needs. To keep 2 roosters, I would want between 20 and 30 hens and the space for that many birds. People do it with less space than that, but the chance of trouble rises dramatically without enough space. Most truly backyard set ups do not have enough space for roosters.

And rooster chicks are always the most out going darlings, they are so brave. But way too often the darling goes to the nightmare in what seems like an instant.

Mrs K

I'm trying to introduce some 3 week olds to some 6 week olds, and the rooster and one hen are jerks to the chicks, and the others love them. So again 6 weeks, and your Wyandottes are 12 weeks. You're taking a gamble by purchasing day olds. I'd say go with adults and supervise carefully, as it could be bloody fast. But at least adults will fend for themselves. How old are your straight runs, you may be able to mix day olds with them.
The straight run birds are the youngest at 5 weeks old, but they are still really small. I might be able to pull it off, but they also seem a bit more wild. They certainly don't lack confidence. They will jump up to peck one of the 12 weekers if they feel offended. So funny!

Cockerels! They are beautiful!
Oh man!!! Ha ha!! Well, I guess they aren't going to give me the eggs I was hoping for. Interestingly they are the most approachable of the five. So interesting. Let's see what happens. I ordered all hens with the exception of three straight run Ayam Cemanis. Please cross your fingers that those three aren't all cockerels too!!

If that turns out to be the case what do I need to be thinking about in regards to housing them all? Am I going to have to separate them into groups somehow?

Oh man!!! Ha ha!! Well, I guess they aren't going to give me the eggs I was hoping for. Interestingly they are the most approachable of the five. So interesting. Let's see what happens. I ordered all hens with the exception of three straight run Ayam Cemanis. Please cross your fingers that those three aren't all cockerels too!!

If that turns out to be the case what do I need to be thinking about in regards to housing them all? Am I going to have to separate them into groups somehow?
How many hens do you have? If you want to keep all the roosters you need 5-6 hens Per rooster! (I think it’s 5-6 hens)

I have 13 chickens. These two appear to be cockerels. The jury is out on the rest as they are too young to tell. I am betting at least some of the Cemanis are cockerels as well. What kind of luck would it be that they are all hens? Unlikely. The rest of the birds are suppose to be hens, but so were these two so I have now lost faith that any of them are what they are suppose to be. Its like chickroulette over here!! Ha ha

Back
Top Bottom