Here is my goose..is it an Embden?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 11, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    A little over a week ago I bought a whole chicken set up, the hens, coops feeders everything. As we were getting ready to leave he says oh yeah, my wife wants you to take the goose too. Then he told us that they used to have a pair of these geese, a mated pair. Sometime just recently their dog killed one of the geese. He was not sure if it was the goose or the gander. So I ended up taking in this goose. I believe it could be the female, it is very docile...not loving, but docile. I initially had it in a pen right next to the chickens, but it would pace up and down the length of the fence, rubbing its bill on the wire. So then I decided it could be in with the hens. It seems to be better, although it still wants to be the boss of the 4 water founts and its pool. Today I caught it and put it in our front yard with a nice big bucket of cold water...it munched on some grass and finally sat down and spent some time preening. I am actively looking for another goose, as I think it is lonely. Should I attempt to find one of the same breed or will any female do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    If it has blue eyes and is all white, its an embden.. if it has brown eyes, its crossed.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Quote:Almost any breed will do, except breeds like Nene or Egyptian geese. Those are too different from Embdens; she'll not recogniize them as geese.

If you want a feale/male pair, you should probably try sexing your goose first. Docileness is not a secure hint of sex.

But if you just want to give your goose a companion and don't care about offspring, any sex will do.

4. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Quote:Almost any breed will do, except breeds like Nene or Egyptian geese. Those are too different from Embdens; she'll not recogniize them as geese.

If you want a feale/male pair, you should probably try sexing your goose first. Docileness is not a secure hint of sex.

But if you just want to give your goose a companion and don't care about offspring, any sex will do.

I don't really care about offspring, I would like it to have a companion other than the hens. Btw, we named it Dr. Phil.

Oh, and Dr. Phil has the most amazing blue eyes. They are just brilliant. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I think what you have is definitely a Embdem. I also believe from the looks of the picture it is the female. And yes she is lonely. I am not to sure of how it would be if you get a large goose as a friend. I think getting a goshling for her to mother since you aren't worried about offspring you could get a straight run. My 2 female Embdens took in my 2 babies in May and are very good with them. I have heard that if you get adults they won't bond like they will if you get young babies.

I wish you luck and she is a beauty, worthy of a female name though ;-)

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I guess if you couldn't find another goose or gosling, as a last resort you could probably get a duckling and try to get her to accept that for companionship for now, until next year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by