Here is my new Chicken Coop (Still in Progress)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kiaya611, Mar 21, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    I took an old wood "shed" and have turned it into a chicken coop. It was about 8'X32' but by the time I put level and plumb walls up, it ended up to be 6.5'X32'. I will be staining the whole thing a redwood color and adding wood lattice on the OSB sections so it looks better. Yesterday, my nephew and I finished the chicken yard (pictures to follow). Today we plan to paint the interior semi-gloss white and stain the exterior if the weather warms up...the temperature has dropped considerably all of a sudden. It is 33° right now.

I still have to build the nest boxes and roosts and install electricity and plumbing in the coop. My chicks (fast becoming chickens at 3 and 4 weeks old) will be needing a place outside soon. There 5.5'X6.5' "brooder" is getting a bit small for the spunky ones. I have 42 in all.

I hope these attachments work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take care,

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG] The links don't work for me and I wanted to see so badly! Good luck with the rennovations!

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Didn't work for me either......

4. kiaya611

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    Sorry about that...I fixed that problem and they will show up on the post itself now. All of this computer stuff...I am not the most adept at it [​IMG]

5. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Great remodel Kiaya! I think it will work out to be a fine coop for your flock! Can't wait to see the finished product!

6. kiaya611

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    I just went out and took a couple of pics of the new chicken yard. Thought you might like to see them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like them [​IMG]

7. tropical chicken

tropical chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Very, very nice Steven!! [​IMG] Certainly alot of thought and hard work went into this project. Your chickens will be very content in there!

8. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Well done Steven!!! Good work!!! I know your going to enjoy your birds and the set up. I was glad to see the outside version. It has given me an idea. Thanks, Johnny

9. kiaya611

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    Here are the newest pics of the coop. The outside is finished. Now I can get the inside finished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still think I might do something about that roof line...but that isn't necessary right now. I was thinking of putting wood shingles across the front to even out the uneven roofline.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these. It has been allot of work, but allot of fun too.

10. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    OMG Its lovely! Great handy work! You could fit quite alot of chickens comfortably in there! [​IMG] Plan on adding more? hehehehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by