Here is my new henhouse and chicks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by icthus, Jun 10, 2008.

1. icthus

icthus Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    It was originally a heavy wooden table with 4x4 legs. I made it into a 2 story house. It is on 4x4 treated skids. It is about 6x3 and about 6' tall. It is very heavy but I plan to keep it sheltered from the wind.
    Also, I included a pic of the 10x12 coop I am working on and a pic of some of my 1 week old chicks ( 5 pullets each of; RIR, BR, WR, Black sex links and SLW plus 2 RIR roos)
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

2. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    That should do the trick till you get the other built. [​IMG]

3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Are you putting all those chicks in that little house?

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Quote:She says she has a 10x12 she's working on. Anyway i see 11 chicks and a 2 story 5x3 'little house...hmmm thats 30sq ft it's not that bad...

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    great job on the coop! I love the table idea...you are creative!

6. icthus

icthus Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    Quote:Thanks. You are too kind. Also, you are right about the temporary nature of the chicks current lodging.

I have 27 chicks that are almost 1 week old. I am currently keeping all of them in the upstairs of the building which is 18 square feet. The reason the chicks look cramped is because picture only shows about 1 s.f. in the corner. The other 15 chicks were occupying the other 15 s.f. with plenty of room to spare. They have plenty of room for now. It is actually just kind of like a big brooder with a roof. When they start getting cramped I can open the hatch to give them access to the downstairs, effectively doubling the size of their quarters until the 10x12 house is done. I mainly built the little house to be mobile by pulling with my tractor. After I harvest my garden, I am going to temporarily fence it in and put the little house with 5-6 hens in there to buffet on the leftovers and fertilize the garden. I also plan to use the little house for breeding purposes.

Anyway, that's the plan. Now I just have to finish that bigger building. Actually it is ironic, the big building seems like it is going up faster than the small one. I guess it is the difference between building something from scratch vs designing around all the nuances and small details of an already existent item.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Brilliant! It looks great. Fantastic idea to use it in your garden! [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    great idea using the table!!.[​IMG]...i'm gonna be searching my basement tommorow!....nice coop...Wendy

9. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Sorry, I wasn't commenting on the picture, just the 27 chickens in 18 square feet! I didn't catch the note about building a larger coop... The little one is darling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by