Here Is Something I Bet Few Have Dealt With So Far

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Dec 27, 2014.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am bordered by three neighbors with poultry. One is getting rather interesting. When a bird dies they simply toss it into weed patch / fence row that represents our mutual border. We discussed that briefly but no changes realized as discussion of a cannibalism issue they had got me distracted. Apparently they just dressed a bunch of Cornish X that were well past the typical age for harvest which is how they get there small turkey-size monsters. They threw the offal in the same location as the dead birds that is not 30 feet from their chicken house again in the boarder area. My darn dogs then feel privileged enough to get those rotting parts and bring them into the yard proper. I found the front yard flock working on a back / tail section and dog brought a lower leg into house. After I scratch my head a few more times maybe an approach will figured out on how to deal with this. Some of the neighbors here are real dandies.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would mention to the neighbor the issue of drawing predators - even with the fact that you have dogs and they may or may not have dogs to discourage predators, the draw of an easy meal represented by the previous carcasses and now this deposit. There is also the issue of good sanitary practices, which this would not be. While this time of year odor is not such an issue, if this practice carries into the warm months you will also have the issue of the rather unpleasant smells associated with such deposits. All of these are points to use in the discussion as to why they really need to find a better approach to disposal of unwanted parts and dead birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I will be giving that a try. My gut feeling is they do not care. They have a very solidly built chicken house so predators are not an issue for them and biosecurity is a something the USDA invented to harass them. They do have some odd concepts about how the environment is little more than their trash can. Does not work well with close neighbors. Another neighbor with birds also aware of the dead discards so pressure likely to come from him as well.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you saying they are a USDA licensed facility? If so tossing dead animals, carcasses and whatever parts into the field most certainly is not USDA approved, and it almost certainly violated a slew of local laws as well...

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Fortunately, our closest neighbors are a mile away, and don't raise chickens anyway so it's not a problem. (Although we do have a house going up 1/2 mile from here - the neighborhood is getting crowded!) I hope you are able to resolve the problem without too much conflict.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Neighbors can be crazy. I like the advice @Ol Grey Mare gave you. Since last year was our 1st winter keeping chickens-- I was not prepared when we lost 4 hens and 2 roos in one week. The temps were down under freezing all week. I put them in a box in an unused shed for a couple weeks until I could get the ground thawed enough to bury them. This year I have a hole already dug. Hoping not to lose any, but if so I am prepared. My closest neighbors don't mind chickens, but we have brand new neighbors building their house next door on a lot that has been vacant for 20+years and they have already made it evident that they do not like chickens. GREAT! So, we will be refencing the back part of the property to better insure the chickens will not go to their property. Hope your problem gets resolved soon also.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

They are not a facility of any sort. Comments where simply made about how the USDA and other institutions meddle. These guys like to have their own rules and not be imposed upon by others. I am a potential other with inclination to impose.

8. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

although I'm sure your dogs were [​IMG]

That's just gross. At least bag the stuff up and drive it out away from houses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by