Here is the coop DH is building

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wowmanacat, Jul 8, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have a old swing set and play box that I have to use to build a grow out pen for my chicks. I am thinking that I can put chicken wire over the swing set in a A frame style and use the play box as the coop area with roost and a nest box or two just in case. If any one has any ideas for this I would like them. I will put pictures up tomorrow after I get some of what it is I have.
    I have some left over paneling to use to cover some of the holes on the plastic thing. I am going to try and use the two large holes to get to the shelf that is inside that can be used as a nesting area. The large hole is going to be a door so that I can get in to it some what. We are still working on what to do for a door into the pen part.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

That sounds like a great plan ! just make sure the bottom is very secure and that you put some hardwire cloth on the bottom to about 12 inches up....racoons love chicken wire and little ones or big ones tend to sit right next to it !

3. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have to use what I have on hand except the wire. I do have some wood and sheet metal that I can use. I am also going to have it kinda close to the house so I can keep an eye one it. When they are old enough they will get to free range with the others.

4. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    well we are getting a very slow start on this project. It is very hot this time of day so we are going to work on it this evening and tomorrow morning. We have gotten the slide and swings taken off and gone in to town and gotten the chicken netting, hinges, a latch and eye and some poultry staples. Will post more pictures later.

5. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    We got a start on it and this is what is now looks like. We still have to put the poultry netting and make a roof of some kind. So far there is no money in to it everything has been recycled, but we did spent $100 for the poultry netting, hinges, latch and staples. We still have to enclose the plastic box and critter proof it. It may not be perfect but at least we are getting something built.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    well the coop is done enough for the week I hope. I got the chicks in it whit a light so I can see them. At this time I really have no way to get in to it but I will get that fixed in the next day or so. will post pics tomorrow for it was dark by the time we got it done.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I can't wait to see your finished product. I have two old metal swingset frames I have been wanting to turn into a chicken coop.

8. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    All we did was put chicken wire around it for now, it is more of a run for now. We are going to put a tarp over one end for the time being. We are going to have to do more work on it. I still have to get the coop part done. I had to get chickens moved for they were running out of room in there brooder, and the 3 week olds were too in there smaller brooder. It is going to be a few weeks before I get the coop part of it done since DH has to get his truck fixed next weekend.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  9. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Here are some pictures of the run done, we still have to work on the coop part. There tweens stayed in it last night and are all doing fine this morning unlike me who was up all the time checking on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Very innovative![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by