Here it is!!!!! Our "indoor" Coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TcherDawn, Nov 23, 2009.

1. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22059-corner-coop-inside-barn-garage
    Indoor
    inside our two car garage/barn.
    If anyone sees any weak spots or things that we might want to think of changing/altering, PLEASE let us know. [​IMG]
    We have lots of pics and narration on our BYC coop page. Please check it out.
    We did not put on plans or measurements, because nothing was even, level, etc. Everything was custom fit to that old corner where my motorcycle used to be.
    This coop actually has more insulation than our house in some places (our house is 1873 Cape)
    Many, many thanks to Patandchickens for all the ventillation/insulation/cold weather advice. I hope we did Ok?
    Gigantic Thanks to the many others who willingly and for free used their time to help us newbies do this!
    Thanks to all who have posted frequent photos and designs on here.
    We thought this would take a couple of weekends. It took two MONTHS of weekends, nights, holidays, etc..... Silly us!
    We can't believe it is actually done (except we are still modifying, so done is a relative word I guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 10 x 20 run above

Big hugs to all. Halleluiah, the coop is done (collapse)

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! That looks really great! [​IMG] I love how bright it is too!

3. BTufts

BTufts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Maine
    Beautiful! Those are some lucky chickens!! Is that a panel heater I see in the 4th photo down? How do you like it?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Love the coop!

I'm going to raise my waterers in my breeding pens after looking at how high you have yours.... that should keep the pine shavings out of it.

5. TcherDawn

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Yes, an Eco Heat panel heater I believe. Have not had to use it. If the temps are around 50 during the day, it does not drop but a degree or two in the coop at night because of all the insulation. But we did try it out when DH was building, and it does get hot to the touch. So I am going to be sure to keep it dusted off. We have it plugged into a thermostatically controlled outlet. The on/off switch glows red, so it will be funny to see if the girls peck it when it does get used.

6. TcherDawn

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    Quote:Thank you! I raised them on the pavers so I did not have to bend too far in the door to snag it, and I heard somewhere on here that in the (snowy)winter they need to get their toenails on concrete so they don't get too sharp. Do not know for a fact, but kinda made sense, and is never clogged with shavings. Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    that's the best coop ever [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    that is an awesome set up!

9. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    LOVE IT! [​IMG] I am so copying your idea! I just have to get DH to move that workbench he just installed in the garage [​IMG]

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    It is just great. So airy and light and secure. Those chooks are going to be sooooo lucky. I would consider adding a fan, maybe a shelf for a box-fan to carry odor out. Might put a shelf under two of windows, so that wind direction will not defeat purpose. You will be glad you did. Will likely need to leave windows cracked some even in winter. Ventilation is key. A building that big tho can safely be shut fairly tight overnight I would think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by