Here they are!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkiehen, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are all 12 of them! All are eating and doing well so far! [​IMG] Any guesses on which ones are the Wyandottes?

2. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Do they look healthy? Can they go outside for about five minutes everyday?

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Yes they look healthy. NO! they cannot go out side. Even if the air temp is 95 degrees, which I doubt, the ground is too cool for them.

You didn't say what type of wyandotte. Silver? white? golden laced? What are the others supposed to be?[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not seeing any Wyandottes--what color are they supposed to be?

I'm going to disagree on the going outside. Broody hens take their chicks outside at 2-3 days old and they do just fine. Chicks need ACCESS to a warm (95-100 degree) place, they don't need the entire world to be that hot. Keeping them that hot all the time will lead to fried nugget babies--pasty butts, slow feathering out, dehydration, etc. If the day's not horribly cold, not wet or windy, they're good to go out in an enclosure and explore for short periods of time. By the time they're a week or so old, most chicks spend several hours at a time out from under momma, even at pretty cold temps. They're hardy little buggers!

5. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014

There is supposed to be 4 Gold Laced. There is also Red Stars,a RIR, and a white one.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I hate to say it, but I think something got messed up. Gold laced Wyandotte chicks look like this

[​IMG]

You should take pics and contact wherever you ordered them from, cause your order is incorrect.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Congratulations on your lovely flock! Letting them outside is not recommended in the winter. However, it you are in the part of the world where it is summer, then yes you may take them outside. When outside, leaving them unsupevised is not recommended. There are all kinds of predators waiting for a tasty snack such as chicks: Crows, bluejays, neighborhood cat and so forth.

Good luck with them!

8. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    We are in Texas so we are having some very warm days!

9. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Got them form TSC, they wont take them back. The feathers on their wings are gold and black. So what could they be?

10. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the wing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by