Here we go... 4 new hens came in tonight, we will see what happens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wheat, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Wheat

Wheat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Moscow, OH
    Here it goes. I have the best rooster of all time, I love him... His name is Dave. He is a light brown leghorn. Another rooster named Wooley. He is a silver laced wyandotte. Along with 11 other assorted grown hens. Alot of breeds. Dave is definately the man of the house.

I have done alot of research to introducing new members and wanted to get 4 buff orpington hens. I ordered them 3 months ago, they came about 6 weeks ago. My neighbor who has 50+ chickens raised them until now segregated. I just introduced them to my flock tonight very late while they were roosting.

I didn't think it would be a big deal but Dave was P'd off immediately! I am kind of nervous now. He was flying all around making all kinds of crazy noise ruffling his neck feathers for 45 minutes straight. He pinned them in the corner, and even stepped up to a couple of the older chickens. I hope they make it though tomorrow. I will keep an update.

He is so nice and gentle around me and my fiance but if any other person or chicken walks in the area, he goes nuts. I cant decide if that is a super awesome thing or a little scary.

Wooley stood up to him one time and Dave pecked his eye out. [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:ouch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by