Here we go Again. I have a Chicken with a BROKEN EGG please HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeeper1540, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a chicken in June have a broken egg, bit she died from it. This one looks like shes just got a soft membrane egg that broke. She's an almost 2 year old White Leghorn. I'm pretty good on this from before, Im going to put her in a tub of warm water, but what should i do next? try and pull out the membrane? there is a big piece i should be able to grab it. Please let me know!!! This is my favorite White Leghorn and i'm worried.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Jeeper1540

PLEASE! Anyone

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
  4. Jeeper1540

I also have Tylosin 200mg and some needles from last time. this type says its for injection, not ingestion

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Do you have any PenG Procaine on hand?

6. Jeeper1540

No thats all we have. We just took her out of the bath and are drying her with the hair dryer. should we try to pull out any membrane we see???

7. Jeeper1540

Do we pull out the membrane if we can?????

8. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    "If it is a shell and the egg broke inside then there is a real risk of peritonitis (infection from the egg contents) .... you need a vet for the proper antibiotic and dosage (usually they will choose to give Baytril) but even then ... more than what you are doing now... hmmm you could try giving her a TUM (crush it up and add to a wee bit of oatmeal)... that might help her contractions to get it out...but it will not help any infection..."

This is from another post about a hen with a broken egg inside.
    I cannot tell you whether or not to pull the membrane out-I have not dealt with this personally and am trying to find information posted by others.

9. Jeeper1540

I pulled out the membrane and it all seemed to come out, and after i pulled it out she pooed out a little white stuff like egg stuff, so I think that was good to do. Im going to keep her inside in an animal carrier tonight

I know to give her Pedealyte but since i dont have that my friend said Gatorade should work fine since it still have the electrolytes. Should i give her scrambled eggs or plain yogurt tonight?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  10. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    If she is happily eating... no reason not to give her egg and yogurt... If it was a soft egg and you think it all came out... it will probably be okay. Keep your eye on her for a few days... watch her poo and watch for her next egg.

Best of luck and give her lots of love.

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by