Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Iain Utah, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I had so much fun hatching my african goslings... and my new babies are too adorable for words! SO... I am going to try to hatch some more! I found some toulouse geese hatching eggs to be sent out tomorrow... and I'm getting more african eggs from Celtic. So, hopefully by this time Thursday, I will have 10 eggs setting in my bator.

Pete.... are you ready to follow along again and help? You know how much I want a few toulouse babies! [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    You won't be alone in hatching goose eggs! I just set six goose eggs on Friday, so today is their day two of incubation. 'tis my first time with goose eggs. I just had a great hatch with duck eggs though, so it shouldn't be too difficult, right?

3. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Yay!!! We can hatch along together, although you will be a week ahead of me. I hatched my 1st set earlier this week. I followed Pete's guide, created a thread which he followed and answered questions along the way, and had great fun and success!

What type of geese are you hatching? What type of bator? Forced or still? Temp? Humidity? And the most important question... are you following Pete's guide??? [​IMG]

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi - I'll be watching and seeing how this hatch-along goes. Are the Toulouse eggs from Dewlaps? I may even set the first eggs from our Africans just to help compare [​IMG]

5. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Hiya Pete! Glad to see you!!!

They are not dewlap, but I think they are adorable. Here is a pic of the stock:
    [​IMG]

6. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    It would be AWESOME if you set african eggs with me on Wednesday!!

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    They look like Utility Toulouse and I think you'll get a lot of pleasure from this breed. I'll see how many eggs I've got by Wednesday from the Africans and set them However these are maiden eggs so may not be fertile but we'll see. Time to dust down the incubators [​IMG]

8. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Sounds like so much fun! Last year I had one gosling hatch and one died in the shell right at the end. I love my baby Sebastian.

Good luck to all of you!

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am incubating Brown Chinese eggs from Bargain. I use a Brinsea Eco 20 with autoturner, and I've had a ton of success with it. It may be small, but it is dependable. 'tis a forced air incubator. Temperature is stable at 99.5 and the humidity last I checked is 40%. I am using the guide, but not entirely. Everyone has their own ways.

10. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I have several geese eggs set for staggerd (sp?) hatches. I created an Excel spreadsheet so I can enter my weights and it automatically calculates how much they should be for that particular week. Its very helpful with as many eggs as I have in two incubators and a hatcher. I have 3 african eggs, about 8 sebastopols, a few mixed geese, call ducks, and swedish blue ducks. I can't wait.

So far everything is developing as it should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by