1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here we go again! Is this a Silver Laced Wyandotte?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Harley's girl, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright so my black australorps I think are GLW, and now my other black australorps are turning colors too! Geez I think maybe these are SLW. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got 6 and one died, of those 2 are GLW (I think) and the other 3 look like this. Someone seriously got their breed bins mixed up! LOL I got them from TSC 3 weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Definitly not a Wyandotte or an Australorp.

Seems to me its going to be a Birchen something, maybe its an Iowa blue, they are Birchen coloured if I remember right.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    *Sigh* sure hope someone can help you...it will help me too. Same problem with the "Australorp" I got from TSC a couple of weeks ago. I REALLY dread telling my husband his big black chicken is getting stripes!!!!

4. crittergal

crittergal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    Ohio
    I hope someone can help you - We got some from TSC and one of then looks alot like yours. He is very pretty, but I think we will have 4 boys, and that is too many. Anyway, I would like to know what kind he is.

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking that TSC got there bins all mixed up! My friend got 2 black ones out of the same bin, hers are staying solid black! [​IMG] What in the world?? I guess I will wait until my chicks are older then post a new pic. Maybe someone could identify then. [​IMG]

I looked up Iowa Blues, my chick did not look like that. It was black with white. The Iowa blues are brown, well t least they were in that picture. I wish thats what they were....they are beautiful!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  6. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Last year several people who got BA's from Ideal had lacing on them. If TSC gets them from there it would explain it. Sounds like a serious quality issue.

Richard

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

You might want to check where your TSC gets their chicks from (mine TSC bought from Mt. Healthy) then find out what kind of chicks that hatchery sells - maybe you can narrow it down to a specific breed.

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    these are my barred rocks, the black and white ones..
    [​IMG]

and this is the head of my silver laced wyandotte

[​IMG]

if this helps.

My barred rocks I got from a different hatchery, as assorted, but I did order a barred rock rooster and dominic rooster, I wondered when they would get the barred look, and some look more barred than others.
    My silver laced wyandottes had the white markings on their heads from day one.

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Wow, I have SLW, BA and BR and none of them looked like yours at that age!

Here are each breed's group pics at 2-3 weeks of age

Black Australorps [​IMG]
    Silver Laced Wyandottes[​IMG]
    Barred Rocks [​IMG]

10. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    The legs do look like an Austrolorp. The chicks I have seen did feather out with some white. Perhaps Maransguy is right about quality issues. Remember with hatchery chickens they are utility grade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by