Here we go again...UPDATE: New questions 6/21

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jeffross1968, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, after the tornado mostly destroyed our little coop/run this week, I'm about to head out and get some lumber to build another. I've decided on a raised, 4x8 coop to cut down on the cuts I'll have to make. But I have a couple questions, with more to come I'm sure....

1) I'm going to angle the roof from long side to long side...so 4 feet of slope. Will a 6 inch difference be enough between high and low side? I plan on covering the roof with those wavy fiberglass sheets from lowes.

2) What is the best way to attach those sheets to the plywood roof?

3) For corners that are not air tight, is there a chicken safe caulk like product? I'm relatively sure they'd ignore it anyway, but thought I'd check with the pros!

There will be more questions I'm sure!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hi Jeffross1968. I'm sorry to hear you had tornado damage and have to start all over. I hope the chicks are ok though. I'd think a 6" slope would be fine. The corrugated panels from Lowe's should have installation instructions with them. And I'm not sure what to say on the caulk question, but I don't think they'd bother with it.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get more answers as the day goes on.

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    Those panels have, foam pieces that fit under them to help seal and hold in place. Then you just run a screw with a neo cap washer on them through the plastic panels and the wood. lowes sells everything you need right by the panels. hope this helps.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Use screws and a elec hand drill to attach the roof. As long as you don't split the fiberglass then all should be fine. I use the corrugated metal roofs on plywood and they are indistructable. Most all hardware stores has expandable foam called "Good Stuff". The stuff is amazing to fill voids. Spray corners/voids and cut off the expanded foam blobs after a day of drying. 6" of slope is way good enough to move rains and standing water off the roof.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:Great Stuff is awesome. They make different types for different sized voids to fill. Some will expand tremendously, some is made to fill medium voids, and another to fill smaller voids. If you get the type that expands the greatest, and you use it on a medium or small void, it could move the framing around as it expands.
    And whatever you do, wear gloves when using it. Take it from me....if you get that stuff on your skin, it won't come off for a few days.
    As for attaching, you definatley want to use screws with neoprene washers to seal the hole. Get the ones with the hex heads, not ones you have to use a phillips bit on.

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    ..so 4 feet of slope. Will a 6 inch difference be enough between high and low side?

A six inch drop on a 4 foot run is plenty.

I plan on covering the roof with those wavy fiberglass sheets from lowes. What is the best way to attach those sheets to the plywood roof?

Forget fiberglass. They fall apart with a few years of sun on 'em. Use corrigated metal fastened to the plywood with screws that are self drilling and have rubber
    seals on the head. They are sold for this purpose. You might even be able to find some used tin roofing locally.

For corners that are not air tight, is there a chicken safe caulk like product? I'm relatively sure they'd ignore it anyway, but thought I'd check with the pros!

Forget caulking and especially forget expandable foam. Chickens love to peck at that stuff. It does not hurt if the coop is not "air tight" and is in many ways preferable.

Good luck.​

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, new questions! Thanks for the previous replies!

1) How much head room should there be above the top of the roosts?

2) With a little more than 4 feet of height inside the coop, I'm trying to figure out the heights for the laying boxes and roosts. I know some have no problems having the boxes at ground level but I have a couple birds in my current small coop that like to sleep in a laying box. That may be due to lack of roost space, or other reasons. I'll have probably 16 feet of roosting space in the new coop, so I'd like to see them break the habit. So...8 inches off the coop floor for the floor of the laying boxes, maybe 15 inches of height in the laying box? That would be nearly 2 feet from coop floor to top of laying box (which will be outside boxes by the way). How much higher than the laying box floor should the roosts be to be effective?

3) I will be using a 10x10x6 dog lot for a run, covering the bottom couple of feet and probably the top with machine cloth (also tarp for shade on at least part of the roof). Is there a certain "strength" cloth to get?

4) Once I feel that the lot is secure, is there any reason not to keep the chicken door from the coop to the run open at night so that they aren't waiting for me to roll out of bed and go outside? I'm thinking I'd have to keep less food inside the coop if they had morning and evening access to it without worrying about me sleeping in [​IMG]

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ooh...something else. How about the floor of the coop. I see people talk about vinyl, tile, just left bare wood...pros and cons? Am I asking for trouble just leaving it untouched plywood?

9. DingleBay

DingleBay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I used vinyl tile just to keep it smooth for cleanup and to keep any moisture out of the plywood. About 4 weeks now and I am using the deep litter method and everything is staying very dry so far. I was thinking of coating the plywood with a couple coats of poly but the tile was quicker. I figure it will take a long time to rot out the wood, and at that point I would just throw another layer of plywood on top. As for the door someone said to me if you secure the birds every night without fail your birds will be there in the morning. Listening to folks on this forum it sounds like no matter how secure your run is somehow predators get in. I like having my girls locked up at night.

10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Probably good advice on locking them up. Some kind of vinyl would surely make clean up easy, and protect the plywood.

Anyone have any advice on the roost questions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by