1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here we go again...wry neck...need new advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pootersmama, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Pootersmama

Pootersmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    My 6 month old Silkie has wry neck again. We did this at the end of August. She was malnurished and the vitamins and new food with attention to feeding and watering helped after about 2.5 weeks. She did better her neck straighten out and she was fine. I went away for 10 days, my DD took great care of the flock - I think Peaches (Silkie in question) just did not get enough food - I pay very close attention to her intake and I am not sure DD knew that - the flock has food and water in multiple places inthe henhouse and outside and they are in the yard all day. the day I came home little DD held her and played with her saying her head was fine. The next day she was twisted up, neck spasms. [​IMG]
    I started the vitamins immediately, she is seperated from the flock until she eats and drinks breakfast and then joined the flock in the yard. Friday, Sat, Sun, she has been slowly getting worse, yesterday she layed in the yard unless my husband had her (he massages her neck and back and hand fed her. [​IMG] This am she can't even hold her head up for any length of time (minutes at a time) I brought her in the house and fed her a mixture of tomato (her favorite treat) mixed with chick food, cracked corn, and baby parrot formula mixted with water. She did eat about 1/2 of the slice of tomato mixture over about 15 minutes with help to keep her head up. Right now she is seperate from the flock on the porch - I do not want to keep her in the house - 1 I have 2 cats, 2 I do not want to end up having to keep her in the house all winter - I live in NJ and it is cold here now. She is fighting being dropper fed.
    Am I doing right for her?, how many times do I do this?, is this fair to her? Is there any new advice? [​IMG]
    She is getting increase protein, food and water are being closely watched. Baby vitamins, Vit E, and Selenium cocktail daily.[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Poor girl, [​IMG] for both of you.

I have never treated for wry neck, but I would bring her into the house. Make her a cage, give her a bedroom free from cats - garage with heat - something to help supplement her body heat.

[​IMG] she is doing better.

3. Pootersmama

Pootersmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    My poor Peaches is ssssooooo bad. She cannot keep her head up for long and when it is up her neck is completely twisted. She is getting vitamins, Vit E and Selenium. We are helping her to eat and drink. W have increased her protein. She got better for a few days and is much worse and not inproving. I think it is time to put her out of her misery. I am not sure of the best way, she is a pet and I'm not sure I can do it.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am so sorry. I wish I had a magic potion for you and your little girl. [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It takes time, Vitamin E and vitamins is the best, plus scrambled eggs because they can get it easier. Keep straightening her neck out and massaging it. You can try and take a ziplock bag, inflate it a little and wrap around her neck, then tape it. Let her wear it in a tight box or somewhere she can't flip around with it on. After awhile, take it off, leave it on longer and longer each day... this will help the muscles. I just had a hen relapse after a year, but with in the week of treatment she is now back to normal again.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by